- Brown Petroleum Building
- Center for Families and Children
- Dyson Baudo Recreation Center
- Erwin Hall
- Hermann Fine Arts Center
- Legacy Library
- McDonough Center for Leadership and Business
- McKinney Media Center
- Mills Hall
- Rickey Science Center
- Thomas Memorial Hall
The Edwy R. Brown Petroleum Building includes the Department of Petroleum Engineering and Geology. Construction was financed by funds left by the late Edwy R. Brown, Class of 1894, as a memorial to his sister, Mary Ellen Brown. The following facilities are located within the building: the Petroleum Engineering and Geology Department’s offices, classrooms, 100-seat lecture room, and a microcomputer laboratory, complemented by laboratories for investigation of rock and produced fluid and natural gas properties, drilling and completion fluid properties, cement properties, and the CNG Gas Transmission Laboratory.
The geology laboratories include a paleontology laboratory that houses exceptionally fine fossil and stratigraphic collections. The mineralogy and petrology laboratories are equipped with modern thinsectioning equipment, petrographic microscopes, instruments for differential thermal analysis and spectroscopy, and have large mineralogical and petrological collections. The advanced laboratory for work in geomorphology and in structural and field geology contains large numbers of topographic and geologic maps, and aerial photographs. The Brown Petroleum Building received a major refurbishing during 2005-06.
The Center for Families and Children is designed to enrich the lives of both our students the people in our surrounding community. This is accomplished by offering special programs to families and allowing students to observe and interact with these families as a part of their course work. Such programs include a toddler play/parent support group.
Parents with children ages 2-4 can enroll in this program. They are given the opportunity to discuss parenting concerns such as sleep and eating patterns with the center director while their children play under the supervision of education and psychology students. The center also offers developmental testing for infants and special programs in reading and art enrichment for children. It is located across from Mills Hall and adjacent to the new recreation center.
Interested students and families can contact the Psychology Department for more information regarding programming and student opportunities.
The Dyson Baudo Recreation Center houses the Sports Medicine Center, and the Sports Medicine classroom, all located on the ground floor. The Sports Medicine Center offers areas for taping, electrotherapy, and hydrotherapy, and includes the latest in modern equipment for teaching and treatment purposes. The DBRC also offers a wide range of classes open to campus members, such as pilates, aerobic conditioning, racquetball and rock climbing. The center is supervised by certified athletic trainers under the direction of the team physicians. The center’s services are available to all students. The facility is named in honor of Robert Dyson and Laura Baudo-Sillerman, two MC alumni who played a major role in the construction and development of the center.
Erwin Hall, the College’s oldest academic building, was completed in 1850 and named in honor of Cornelius B. Erwin. It houses the Education and Psychology programs. Erwin Hall is located in the National Register of Historic Places.
In addition to classroom space, Erwin Hall includes a computer lab. It is maintained by the Department of Education and contains Macintosh computers and multimedia equipment that allow students to learn how computer technology can be integrated into contemporary education. The laboratory is used in conjunction with many of the Department of Education’s college-level courses, as well as special programs including the Summer Reading Clinic and the Women in the Sciences Program.
The Psychology Laboratory contains IBM-compatible computers that allow students to conduct experiments in human and animal learning, social behavior, perception and psychophysics, artificial intelligence, and other topics of interest to contemporary experimental psychologists. These computers may be used by students who choose to conduct their own research projects.
The Grover M. Hermann Fine Arts Center is a three-story brick building providing complete facilities for the Departments of Art and Theatre, as well as for the MacTaggart Department of Music. It is the result of the generosity of the late Grover M. Hermann, L.H.D. 1962, and the late Mrs. Sophia Russell, sister of the late Edward E. MacTaggart, Class of 1892, and a former trustee of the College.
The art studios, providing facilities for printmaking, painting, design, drawing, and ceramics, are arranged around a large exhibition gallery on the third floor. Also on that floor are departmental offices, and a large art history lecture room. The sculpture studio is located in a separate building across the street from the center. The music facilities of the Edward E. MacTaggart Department of Music are located on the second and third floors of the center. A rehearsal room, which is also used as a recital hall, accommodates approximately 200 people and is equipped with two grand pianos (a Baldwin and a Steinway). Teaching studios, classrooms, and practice rooms are provided with Baldwin or Steinway pianos. Audio sound equipment also is provided in classrooms and teaching studios.
The center’s recently refurbished Friederich Theatre seats 200 and can be arranged to accommodate any type of staging now used in the modern theater: proscenium, arena, caliper, open, or thrust stages. There are two side stages and an orchestra pit. The main stage has three full stage wagons, as well as the conventional flies with counterweight system and a motorized light bridge. On the same floor there are also a small experimental theater that seats 70, a paint-dye room, an electrical workshop, a general shop area well-equipped with electrical tools, a large storage room for scenery and properties, actors’ washrooms and showers, a kitchenette, and ticket office. The second floor includes a costume make-up laboratory, men’s and women’s dressing rooms, a costume storage room, a control booth containing a new digital DMX lighting system and a new 32 channel sound mixer for wireless and fixed mikes, and two faculty offices with observations windows to the theatre. The newest addition is a multimedia computer lab for the fine arts and communications. The lab is equipped with both PC and Mac computers, scanner, printers and computer projection equipment.
The Legacy Library opened for services as Marietta College’s new library building as the Spring 2009 semester began. The 53,000 square foot facility is located at the center of campus on the site of the former Dawes Memorial Library. On its main floor the Legacy Library features an Information Commons for technologically intensive research.
This area combines a traditional reference desk staffed to provide research assistance with numerous Internet workstations and information technology support. Additionally the building offers other useful features, including a cybercafé operated by the college’s dining services and accessible to students 24 hours per day during the Fall and Spring terms; wireless Internet access throughout the building; generous space for Special Collections research and storage of materials; a hands-on computer classroom for library instruction; varied and comfortable spaces for student study, including several group study and media viewing rooms; a Center for Teaching Excellence, with an experimental classroom and a program of support for instructional technology; and compact, movable shelving to maximize space for other functions. An integrated, multi-function library management system enhances the capabilities of users to search for materials in the library’s collections and includes an automated circulation system, as well as serials check-in and electronic ordering modules. As a member of OhioLINK, a statewide consortium of 88 Ohio college and university libraries and the State Library of Ohio, the Library provides access to 47.6 million books and other library materials, millions of electronic articles, 12,000 electronic journals, 140 electronic research databases, 40,000 e-books, thousands of images, videos and sounds, and 17,500 theses and dissertations from Ohio students. Students and faculty, using the patron-initiated, online borrowing feature, can request books directly from other OhioLINK libraries.
The Legacy Library’s print collections include over 245,000 print volumes, including General Collection books, Bound Periodicals, and Special Collections books. Audio-visual holdings include more than 2,700 audio CDs and 1,500 videos. Additionally the Library receives more than 700 serial titles in print. As a designated government document depository the Library also receives selected documents of the United States Government and the State of Ohio. Marietta College is a charter member of OHIONET, a cooperative serving Ohio libraries, and of OCLC Inc., a national computerized electronic network organized in 1967 and located in Columbus, Ohio, which links together over 60,000 academic, public, and special libraries and library systems worldwide. Also maintained are the Marietta College Archives, which contain the correspondence of past presidents, College publications, photographs, and records documenting the history of the College from the time of its founding.
Library Special Collections:
The Slack Research Collections comprise the individually named special collections of library materials which are housed in the Legacy Library. The name honors the decades of commitment and dedication of the Slack family to Marietta College.
The Cutler Collection, numbering more than 1,500 manuscripts, contains the correspondence and papers of Ephraim Cutler (1767-1853) and of his son, William Parker Cutler (1812-1889). These two men, son and grandson respectively of Manasseh Cutler, played prominent roles in the legislative, economic, and educational growth of Ohio. The donor of the collection, Mary Dawes Beach, great-great-granddaughter of Manasseh Cutler, was the wife of Arthur G. Beach, author of A Pioneer College: the Story of Marietta, published in 1935, and professor of English at Marietta from 1913 to 1934.
The Charles Gates Dawes Collection consists of 146 autographed letters and documents of internationally known men and women of the past 400 years. The collection was presented to the College in 1938 by Charles Gates Dawes, Class of 1884, who assembled it while he was serving in France during World War I. Included are autographs of world-famous statesmen, artists, authors, monarchs, musicians, philosophers, and scientists.
The Paul Fearing Collection consists primarily of the business documents of Paul Fearing (1762-1822), first attorney in the Old Northwest Territory, and contains many papers related to his work as an agent for non-resident land owners. Also included is the correspondence between Paul Fearing and Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Willis, Fearing’s brother-in-law and sister.
The Harry Philip Fischer Collection of photographs contains 14,000 plates and films of local scenes and a collection of photographs of steamboats. A graduate of Marietta Academy, Class of 1896, Fischer was a well-known photographer in Marietta from 1901 to 1949. The collection was donated by Mrs. Daisy Fischer and Richard Philip Fischer.
The Samuel Prescott Hildreth Collection consists of the letters, documents, and memorabilia of Samuel Prescott Hildreth (1783-1863), Marietta physician, geologist, botanist, and amateur historian. The material focuses on the pioneer history of the Ohio Valley from 1787 to 1847, and also contains information on natural history and geology. Included are meteorological records from Hildreth’s 40 years of weather observation, as well as the notes of his medical practice from 1831 to 1854. Some of the material was used in two of his publications, Pioneer History (1848), and Biographical and Historical Memoirs of the Early Pioneer Settlers of Ohio (1852). Books from Dr. Hildreth’s own library are also cataloged into the special collections.
The Stephen Durward Hoag Collection of photographs depicts people and scenes of mid-twentieth-century Marietta, and also contains reproductions of images made by earlier photographers. A member of the Class of 1923, Hoag was a well-known amateur photographer.
The Legacy Art Collection consists of paintings, prints, and artifacts collected by the College. Included are many works of art acquired by the College’s second president, Henry Smith, during a trip to Europe in 1836, as well as paintings by local artists.
The Manuscripts and Documents of the Ohio Company of Associates is a collection of business records, land records, and correspondence related to the earliest settlement of Marietta and the Old Northwest Territory. It includes the original book of minutes of the Associates, record books of shareholders and their land allotments, survey plats, and surveyors’ field notes. Part of the collection was bequeathed by William Rufus Putnam, the grandson of Rufus Putnam, and part was deeded to the College by Agnes Ward White, whose ancestor, Nahum Ward, owned a controlling interest in the Company’s assets.
The Rufus Putnam Papers is a collection of the correspondence and records of General Rufus Putnam (1738-1824), Revolutionary War officer, superintendent of the Ohio Company of Associates, and surveyor general of the United States. The material reflects the hazardous economic, military, and political life of the pioneer era in the Old Northwest Territory. The collection was bequeathed to Marietta College by William Rufus Putnam, grandson of Rufus Putnam.
The Rare Book Collection contains volumes dating from 1489. Included are incunabula, rare dictionaries, nineteenth-century textbooks, and many historical first editions, such as Newton’s Opticks.
The Charles Goddard Slack Collection of historical documents and prints contains more than 250 letters, documents, and illustrations of persons notable in the history and culture of Marietta College, the city of Marietta, and the Old Northwest Territory. The core of the collection was presented in 1905 by Charles Goddard Slack, Class of 1881, and is supported by endowment funds given by him and by Francis G. Slack (D.Sc. 1951). Many additional manuscript collections related to the history of the region, too numerous to name individually, are preserved in the Slack Research Collections.
The Rodney M. Stimson Collection, deeded to the College in 1900, consists of about 20,000 volumes of Americana, rich in the history of the Old Northwest Territory and Ohio, the westward movement, Native American Indians, the Revolutionary and Civil wars, slavery and abolition, personal narratives, almanacs, and books on early travel. Rodney Metcalf Stimson, Class of 1847, was a lawyer, newspaper editor, and librarian of the state of Ohio, as well as librarian and treasurer of Marietta College from 1895 to 1913.
The McDonough Center for Leadership and Business, completed in 1989, houses the 300-seat Alma McDonough auditorium and offices for the McDonough Leadership Program. The building also contains classrooms, meeting rooms, a small apartment for visiting lecturers in residence, and the Betty Cleland Room, a formal dining room named for the wife of former College President Sherrill Cleland. The building is named in memory of Bernard P. McDonough, a West Virginia businessman and philanthropist, through the generosity of his wife, Alma McDonough.
The McKinney Media Center houses the College’s radio and television broadcast facilities and student newspaper offices. It carries the name of the McKinney family in honor of their contributions to local newspaper publishing and their support of the College. The structure originally housed The Marietta Times, the community’s daily newspaper, and was remodeled in 1983 following its acquisition by the College.
The Center’s facilities include two radio stations, a cable television station, student newspaper facilities, darkroom, classroom space, computer graphics lab, and faculty offices. The two FM broadcasting stations are equipped with on-air control rooms and studios and a broadcast newsroom equipped with computers and Associated Press satellite news feed. A production center is used by students for on-air programming and for class and laboratory assignments. Television facilities include a large studio equipped with news, interview, and general purpose sets, and solid state cameras. The television control room is equipped with an eight-channel audio board, an ISI six bus effects switcher with downstream key, and a computer-based character generator. Special graphics are developed on a 3M/DeGraff “Paint-box,” and video tape editing is via a Super VHS system. Student newscasts are enhanced with material from CNN NewsSource received via satellite.
WMRT-FM, a 9,200 watt stereo station operating at 88.3 MHz, is student managed and staffed, and provides jazz and classical music, news, and Marietta College sports over a 40-mile radius of Marietta. WCMO-FM, a 10 watt station at 98.5 MHz, is student managed and staffed, providing the Marietta area with music formats selected by each of the student announcers. WCMO-TV provides a variety of student produced programs to over 11,000 cable households in the Marietta and Williamstown, West Virginia area. TV programs include a four-night-a-week newscast, variety, public affairs, and sports programming.
Mills Hall provides office and classroom space for the Communication faculty of the Department of Communication and Media Studies. The building was remodeled and renamed in 1964 to memorialize two long-time trustees and benefactors of the College: John Mills, Class of 1867, and William W. Mills, Class of 1871, and experienced a major refurbishing in 2005.
The William Chamberlain Gurley Observatory on the roof of Mills Hall consists of an electrically driven dome for a six-inch Byrne refractor telescope built in 1882, an observation platform, and a storage and laboratory room. Other telescopes include an eight-inch Celestron C8 SCT, an Edmund wide-field, and a 3.5-inch Questar with Cervit optics. Numerous small telescopes are available for individual student use.
The Rickey Science Center is a complex of three connected buildings (the Rickey, Selby and Bartlett buildings) and is home to five science departments, namely Biology and Environmental Science, Chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Science, Physician Assistant Studies, and Physics.
The Rickey Building was dedicated in April 2003. It is the result of gifts from David M. Rickey (Class of 1978), the J. and D. Family Foundation, and Jan E. Neilson, as well as other alumni and friends of the College. The first floor of the Rickey Building consists of physics laboratories (introductory, advanced, and student research), as well as an environmental science classroom/laboratory. The second floor provides laboratory space for anatomy, microbiology, cell and molecular biology, and student research. Chemistry laboratories for general, organic, physical/inorganic, biochemistry/analytical, and student research are located on the third floor.
The Selby Building was largely financed through gifts from the William G. and Marie Selby Foundation and Mrs. Marie Selby. Included on the first floor are classrooms, physics and environmental science faculty offices, and a physics laboratory/classroom. The second floor was recently renovated to accommodate faculty offices for mathematics and computer science along with three classrooms and a computer laboratory. The third floor of Selby includes chemistry faculty offices, chemistry instruments laboratories, a classroom, and a chemistry stockroom.
The Bartlett Building was made possible in large part through a bequest of Mrs. Jessie Bartlett Noll (1887-1966) and is named in memory of her husband D.A. Bartlett (1866-1922). The first floor is home to the Eggleston Department of Biology and Environmental Science. Also located on this floor are classrooms, physics faculty offices, and a physics seminar room. In addition to biology faculty offices and distance education classroom, the second floor contains laboratories for introductory biology, botany, and zoology.
The Physician Assistant Studies (PA) graduate program is found on the third floor and includes PA faculty offices as well as lecture, seminar and clinical classrooms. In addition, chemistry faculty offices, the E.L. Krause Reading Room, and a computer laboratory are located on the third floor.
The Anderson Hancock Planetarium, connected to the Selby Building of the Rickey Science Center, was dedicated in 2009. It was the result of a major gift from David (’78) and Brenda Rickey, and is named in honor of two emeritus faculty members in physics, R. Lester Anderson and G. Whitmore Hancock. The facility houses a 102-seat star theater featuring a hybrid projection system consisting of a Chronos opto-mechanical starfield projector and a Digistar full-dome video projector. The building includes physics faculty offices and a lobby with an astronomy gallery and NASA ViewSpace video feed.
Andrew U. Thomas Memorial Hall houses the classrooms, reading rooms, and offices of the Departments of English, History, Modern Languages, Philosophy, Political Science, Religion; and the Brachman Department of Economics, Management, and Accounting. The Honors Program suite, the Writing Center and the International Student Office are located within Thomas Hall. Teaching facilities range from seminar rooms to an auditorium seating 148 and include eight electronic classrooms. The building is a memorial to Andrew U. Thomas, Class of 1921, and a former member of the College’s Board of Trustees.