Eliphalet F. Andrews, Class of 1853
After graduating in 1853 from Marietta College, where he received his initial art training, Eliphalet Andrews studied with Ludwig Knaus at Dusseldorf Academy in Germany and with Leon Bonnat at Ecole de Beaux-Arts in Paris.
Andrews returned to his hometown in Steubenville, Ohio, to open his first studio in 1860. Known for painstaking detail in his portraits, he specialized in large-scale paintings. He painted portraits of two Ohio governors, including his friend, Rutherford B. Hayes. Following Hayes' election to the U.S. Presidency, Andrews moved to Washington, D.C., in 1876. There he painted a full length portrait of President Hayes which found a home in the White House, as did renderings of President Thomas Jefferson and First Ladies Martha Washington and Dolley Madison. Several of Andrews' works were exhibited at the nation's 1876 Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia.
In 1877, at the behest of William Wilson Corcoran, banker and art patron, Andrews conducted a series of informal drawing classes at the Corcoran Gallery of Art. Ten years later, when the Corcoran School of Art was established, Andrews was named director, serving until 1902.
Many of his presidential portraits now hang in the collections of the National Museum of Art, the White House, the United States Capitol, the Corcoran Gallery of Art, the Ohio State House and in several Steubenville municipal buildings. Eliphalet F. Andrews died in Washington, D.C., in 1915 and was returned for burial to Union Cemetery in Steubenville, Ohio.