Ruth M. Drew, Class of 1934
Ruth M. Drew graduated Cum Laude in 1934 as a biology major. While a Marietta College undergraduate, she authored a published scientific article and was the first to conduct transplanting experiments on living animals. She was inducted into the national biology honorary, Beta Beta Beta.
Following graduation, Drew attended medical school at the University of Cincinnati, receiving a master of science degree in pathogenic bacteriology in 1935. She began work as a medical technologist at the Good Samaritan Hospital in Cincinnati, OH, before becoming chief medical technologist at Holmes Hospital in the same city. In 1941 she continued graduate studies at the University of Chicago and in 1942 became a bacteriologist and immunologist for Parke-Davis in Detroit. In 1943 she joined the Army’s First Service Command for a study of respiratory diseases in Army personnel.
Attending Harvard on a Harold Ernst Fellowship, Drew served as an instructor in pathogenic bacteriology and as a graduate student at both Harvard University and Radcliffe College, receiving a Ph.D. in medical sciences from Radcliffe in 1950. The prior year she had joined the staff of the Division of Microbiology of the Medical Department of Brookhaven National Laboratory, Long Island, New York. There she worked in the Medical Research Center, investigating the effects of radiation on bacterial and mammalian cells until her retirement in 1972. She was awarded an Honorary Doctor of Science degree from Marietta College in 1958. Dr. Drew died January 27, 1993.