Edward E. MacTaggart, Class of 1892
College Benefactor and Trustee, Patron of Fine Arts
Edward Everett MacTaggart graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Marietta College in 1892. During the oil boom in the early 1900s he was associated with oil companies in Oklahoma. Over time, his successful investments in oil leases made him financially independent.
MacTaggart eventually returned to Marietta, where he continued his involvement with oil companies. In 1918 he purchased "The Anchorage," a Tuscan-style villa built in 1859. MacTaggart restored the mansion and furnished it with treasures from his worldwide travels. A patron of the fine arts, MacTaggart frequently opened his home to host performances by prominent musicians.
After his retirement, MacTaggart was engaged in various civic affairs in Marietta. He served as a trustee of Marietta College for four years. MacTaggart backed efforts to launch crew racing as an intercollegiate sport at the College. He was also a staunch supporter of the Collegeís Delta Upsilon fraternity chapter. He received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Marietta in 1946. MacTaggart often aided needy students, as their challenges were made known to him. In 1951, he established the MacTaggart Special Scholarship Fund, an endowed scholarship awarded to "needy, worthy, and all-around" male students.
MacTaggart died in 1952 in Marietta. He never married, and much of his estate ultimately went to Marietta College.
MacTaggart's sister, Sophia MacTaggart Russell, was also a long time benefactor of Marietta College. When she died in 1962, she left a trust to the College in memory of her brother, to be used "for the promotion of the fine arts." Her bequest contributed to construction of the Grover M. Hermann Fine Arts Center.