Deas, Gliva named Marietta College Homecoming royalty
Marietta College seniors Ashley Deas and Craig Gliva were crowned Homecoming 2006 royalty during halftime of the Pioneers' football game against John Carroll on Saturday (Oct. 14).
The announcing of queen and king was just one of the many highlights in a weekend full of activities for students and alumni. Other memorable moments included special class dinners for the Classes of 1956, 1966 and 1976, the induction of four new members into the Alumni Association's Hall of Honor, and the All-Alumni Banquet.
Another feature of the weekend was the first Marietta on the Mall celebration before the football game, which drew more than 500 for food, fun and music.
Alpha Xi Delta sorority nominated Deas, of Berlin Center, Ohio. Deas, daughter of Sue and Douglas Deas, is majoring in graphic design and minoring in advertising and public relations with a certificate in Leadership. She is a member of Kappa Pi (art honorary), VOICE and was an orientation leader. Deas is also the public relations vice president for Alpha Xi Delta and vice president of College Union Board.
The residents of McCoy Hall nominated Gliva, of Brunswick, Ohio. Gliva, son of Patricia and Ed Gliva, is a management major and a marketing and sports management minor. He is a member of choir, men's choir, McCoy Hall Council and is a resident assistant in McCoy Hall.
The other queen candidates were:
* Ashley Anderson, of Lowell, Ohio, who was nominated by Sigma Kappa sorority. Anderson is the daughter of Mary and Myron Callihan of Lowell and Ben and Jennifer Anderson of Belpre, Ohio. She is majoring in business management and minoring in studio art.
* Katie Chadwell, of Georgetown, Ohio, was nominated by women's basketball. Chadwell, the daughter of Kathy and Tim Chadwell of Georgetown, is majoring in organizational communication along with a minor in art and a certificate in leadership. She is a member of women's basketball, women's tennis, and Alpha Lambda Delta (freshman honorary).
* Rachel Forman, of Caldwell, Ohio, was nominated by Chi Omega sorority. Forman, the daughter of Leslie and Thomas Forman of Heath, is majoring in psychology and minoring in religion with a certificate in Leadership. She is a member of track and field, Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and Pan-Hellenic Council.
* Heather Keith, of Columbus, Ohio, was nominated by the Arts and Humanities Council. Keith, the daughter of Mitzi and Harlow Keith of Columbus, is majoring in musical theatre. She is a member of theatre, concert choir, chamber singers and Alpha Psi Omega (drama honorary).
The other king candidates were:
* Thomas Fogle, of Caldwell, Ohio, was nominated by Alpha Tau Omega fraternity. Fogle, son of Joyce and Donald Fogle of Caldwell, is an English major.
* John Kitson, of Parkersburg, W.Va., was nominated by Delta Tau Delta International Fraternity. Kitson, the son of John and Deveda Kitson of Parkersburg, is majoring in marketing and advertising and public relations with a minor in leadership studies and management information systems.
* Nick Reiter, of Waterford, Ohio, was nominated by Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity. Reiter, son of Cheryl and Albert Reiter of Waterford, is an allied health major. He is involved with the campus radio station, WMRT-FM.