Specific Resources For Parents
The Marietta College Career Center looks forward to working with your son or daughter as they carve out their place in the world of work. Together we can help them achieve their dreams!
Encourage your son or daughter to:
- Make their grades a priority
- Get involved in the campus community by joining a club or participating in a campus ativity
- Talk with his/her professors and utilize campus resources, such as career center
- To plan early to find a campus job and/or summer job
- Talk with your son or daughter about their major and career choices and listen to your child as he/she discusses interests, skills, values
- Encourage your son or daughter to obtain a career-related experience over the summer
- Consider making the initial contact with your networks and setting up some job shadowing and informational interviewing opportunities for your child
- Promote idea of creating a career and/or graduate school plan
- Encourage your child to become familiar with job search tools like resumes, search engines
- Make sure that your son or daughter has registered with college central and is becoming a regular Career Center visitor
- Help keep your child motivated throughout the job and/or graduate school search process
- Offer to look over their portfolio
- Encourage your child to participate in both on and off campus recruiting and networking events
Useful Resources from NACE articles from the National Association of Colleges and Employers
- Contact the Human Resources department at your place of employment about recruiting programs for full-time, part-time, internships and summer positions. Sharing this information with the Career Center can be beneficial to enhancing our employer relations programs.
- Volunteer to talk to students (in person, by e-mail, or over the phone) about your career path and current employer. Contact the Career Center for more information about serving as a mentor.
- Volunteer to assist with housing for a summer intern from Marietta College.
- We welcome your suggestions on any other ways you think you may be helpful to your son or daughter and other Marietta College students. Email us: email@example.com