News & Notices
International Week is November 17-22: Celebrate with the Office of Education Abroad!
- International Photo Contest Voting in Thomas Hall 214--Nov 17-21
- Monday, November 17: Fitness International--Mind and Body, DBRC 6:30pm
- Wednesday, November 19: Study Abroad 101 7pm, 215 Thomas Hall
- Friday, November 21: Global Gateways--12pm, 209 Thomas Hall
At the center of a Marietta education are Seven Core Values that form the foundation for all the College does. The Department of Education Abroad helps the college achieve Core Value #3: Global Perspective and Diversity, which states:
MARIETTA COLLEGE prepares students to thrive in a diverse society and in a world where social interaction, work, and exchange occur across geographical, cultural, and linguistic boundaries. They learn that economic growth, political stability, human adaptation, and sustainability all rely upon cooperative efforts among the nations and peoples of the world.
To create, develop and promote meaningful cross-cultural experiences both on and off-campus for all members of the college community. Through academic and experiential opportunities, we seek to increase international participation for students, faculty and staff and advance the depth of understanding for cultural competence and learning.
Our goals include:
- fostering development of policies, practices, and procedures consistent with a campus environment that is open to and inclusive of people from around the globe
- supporting the infusion of an international focus in academic and co-curricular programs
- recruiting and providing program support for international students and scholars
- encouraging short-term and long-term study abroad experiences
- promoting opportunities for international professional development of faculty and staff
- nurturing exchange agreements with strategically selected international sister institutions
- coordinating with other individuals and units to secure resources for the healthy growth of education abroad and opportunities.
Director of Education Abroad
Dept: Education Abroad
Office: 214 Thomas Hall
Degrees: MA International Education, School for International Training, B.A. Sociology and Spanish, Miami University, Oxford, OH
Year appointed: 2007
Christy joined Marietta College in July 2007 which brought her back to Ohio after living seven years along the East Coast and Texas. She holds a B.A. in Sociology and Spanish from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. Immediately following graduation, she joined Americorps* National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC) and was based out of Washington D.C. She traveled throughout the United States and completed 3500 hours of community service during her two year NCCC commitment. After teaching English to foreigners in Boston, she completed her M.A. in International Education from the School for International Training in Brattleboro, Vermont (now SIT Graduate Institute).
Her interest in things international began when her family hosted a student from Spain for a summer. In between high school and the start of college Christy spent one year in Ecuador as a high school exchange student with AFS. During that time she got a first hand look at life in another culture. She continued to study the Spanish language in college, and completed her Spanish degree while studying in Salamanca, Spain during her junior year. She's been fortunate to travel much of the globe and has recently visited China, Ghana, Australia and Italy.
She encourages all students to think about studying abroad and is pleased that Marietta College supports the idea of Internationalization as a core value.
Dept: Education Abroad
Office: Thomas 214
Degrees: Bachelor of Science in Health (Ohio University)
Year appointed: 2009
After working 2.5 years with students in the College's Records Office, Mrs. Arnold transitioned to the Office of Education Abroad.
Because of their close affiliation with the Department of Education Abroad, you may also wish to view bios for faculty and staff of the Department of Modern Languages and the McDonough Center for Leadership and Business.