The Physical Plant provides maintenance, repair, and construction services for operation of facilities, grounds, utility services, and other related functions that support the academic, administrative, residential, and recreational areas of Marietta College. Its staff maintains and repairs campus facilities and grounds in an efficient and economical manner, promoting a safe, clean, aesthetically pleasing campus environment, in continuous support of Marietta College's students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Department Areas within the Physical Plant include:
- Building Services
- Grounds Services
- Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Fleet Transportation
For routine maintenance requests, please contact your building coordinator. They will contact the Physical Plant.
For emergency maintenance requests (i.e. loss of electricity, no heat, water leaks, or situations that impact the safety and security of the occupants and the building) contact the Physical Plant at x4790 from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
After normal business hours emergencies contact College Police at x3333.
In the event of an after-hours emergency requiring the response of the Physical Plant, the following procedures are in effect:
- Definition of an EMERGENCY requiring after hours response: hazard with potential for injury; corrective action required to minimize damage to facilities, equipment, or property; loss of critical electrical, water or sanitary service; hazard to health of personnel. Loss of a single shower, toilet, or sink where alternative facilities are available or loss of heat when temperatures are above 60F is not normally an emergency.
- Only recall personnel for true emergencies that can not wait until the next working day. For safety of our personnel, it is preferable that emergency work be performed during daylight hours if at all practical.
- Only Campus Public Safety shall initiate after hours recalls. Recalled personnel shall check in and check out with CPS.
- Only CPS, Faculty, Staff, Residence Life Area Coordinators, and Resident Directors may initiate after hours recalls via CPS.
- CPS may directly call the trade or staff best able to arrest the emergency. Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) duty personnel are on call by pager primary) and cell phone (secondary) if the required trade can not be contacted. If unable to contact the tradesman, or HVAC, contact the Associate Director, Director, or Assistant Director in that order.
- Physical Plant personnel responding to the emergency shall check in with CPS, arrest the emergency and restore service if possible, ask CPS to call the Residence Life staff member of duty so that the Physical Plant personnel can report repair status directly to Residence Life. If service can not be restored, the Physical Plant personnel shall call the Physical Plant Associate Director, Director or Assistant Director.
- If snow or ice accumulate to the point that conditions are unsafe, CPS shall call Dave Lane who shall recall appropriate personnel. If Dave Lane is unavailable, then call Fred Smith or Paul Miller. Generally speaking, if the actual or forecasted accumulation is two inches by early morning then snow removal will start at 4:00 am. For more significant accumulation after normal working hours, snow removal will start when approximately two inches have accumulated.
Complete the request form and mail or fax to x4409, Physical Plant, attention Marilyn Pottmeyer at least five business days prior to the event.
- We recommend you follow-up with a confirming phone call.
- Events are supported on a first-come first-serve basis. The requesting department must make the facility reservations.
- At this time the college has a limited supply of tables and folding chairs. If the tables and chairs are in use by others, then the requesting department will have to arrange for and pay for rentals; Physical Plant will assist with determining the rental quantities, drop-off and pick-up locations.
- Any help that groups can provide with set-up and tear down will be appreciated.
Department chairs and directors can authorize most key requests. For more information contact the Physical Plant Office at x4790. Key Control Policies and Forms are available below: