IACUC Existing Protocol
The IACUC has approved the following protocol for use in animal research. Investigators who wish to use these protocol in a study or for a class project may refer to these protocol in conjunction with an Existing Protocol application. (MC Password Required)
The IACUC maintains small reference library of books, manuals, and articles pertaining to IACUC matters. These materials are available on request.
- Sharp, P. & LaRegina, M. (1998). The laboratory rat. Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL.
- Danneman, P., Suckow, M., & Brayton, C. (2013). The laboratory mouse. Taylor & Francis, Boca Raton, FL.
The Marietta College Legacy Library contains many books that might be helpful to investigators.
- Monamy, V. (2009). Animal experimentation: A guide to the issues. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY.
Online Information & Training
Many resources that might be useful to investigators can be found on the internet. Some of these useful links are provided below.
- IACUC.org is a website created by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science and has links to numerous publications of interest.
- The Animal Welfare Act requires minimum standards for care and treatment to be provided to animals used in research. The current laws and regulations can be found on their site.
The IACUC will recognize the following guidelines and any others subsequently adopted by the IACUC for the care and use of vertebrate animals in research and instruction.
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, published by the National Academies Press.
- Guidelines for Ethical Conduct in the Care and Use of Animals.
- Guidelines for Use of Fishes in Field Research.
- Guidelines for Use of Live Amphibians and Reptiles in Field Research.
- Guidelines for the Use of Wild Birds in Research.
- Guidelines for the Capture, Handling, and Care of Mammals.
Additional materials available through OhioLINK are listed below.
- American Psychological Association. Guidelines for the ethical conduct in the care and use of animals. Washington, D.C.: APA, 1993.
- Driscoll, J.W. (Ed). Animal care and use in behavioral research, regulations, issues, and applications. Beltsville, MD: USDA, Animal Welfare Center, National Agricultural Library, 1989.
- Orlans, F.B. In the name of science: Issues in responsible animal experimentation. New York: Oxford University Press, 1993.
- Podolsky, M.L. & Lukas, V.S. (Eds). The care and feeling of an IACUC: The organization and management of an institutional animal care and use committee. Boca Raton: CRC Press, 1999.