Applicants to the Marietta College Physician Assistant Program must meet the following requirements and pre-requisites:
- Bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a regionally accredited institution.
- Pre-requisite course requirements - minimum of 2.0/grade of “C” for each individual pre-requisite course grade BUT a 3.0 CUMULATIVE GPA (on a 4.0 scale) for ALL pre-requisite coursework.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to have completed all prerequisite courses by December of the year of application however, the program will permit one (1) pre-requisite course “in process” during the spring semester preceding the June program start date.
- GRE test scores submitted with CASPA application. The school code number is 0937.
- Applicants must meet the Technical Standards of the program.
|Pre-requisite Course||Semester Credit Hour Requirements||MC Course Equivalents|
|Upper Level Human or Mammalian Biology||3 hours||BIOL 309, 310, 330, 340, 401, 430|
|General Chemistry I with Lab||4 hours||CHEM 131 & 133|
|General Chemistry II with Lab||4 hours||CHEM 132 & 134|
|Microbiology with Lab||3 hours||BIOL 202|
|Human Anatomy with Lab||3 hours||BIOL 212|
|Human Physiology||3 hours||BIOL 203|
|General Psychology||3 hours||PSYC 101|
|Upper Level Psychology w/emphasis on abnormal and/or developmental psychology||3 hours||PSYC 206, 207, 350, 375|
|Statistics||3 hours||MATH 123, 223; PSYC 285, 286|
|The following courses are not required pre-requisites but are excellent additional classes to strengthen an application: genetics, immunology, virology, biochemistry, histology, pathophysiology|
- To check for course equivalency, view our course catalogs for descriptions of Marietta College courses.
- Combined Human Anatomy & Physiology courses, must be a minimum of six (6) semester hours and must be obtained in a one (1) year sequential course.
- Quarter hour system prerequisite courses must equal the listed semester hour requirements. To calculate semester credit hours, multiply the number of quarter hours of credit by 0.67.
- All prerequisite courses must have been completed within the past ten (10) years prior to application.
- Advance placement (AP) courses (limit two (2) courses) will be accepted for pre-requisite requirements, but will not be calculated into the pre-requisite GPA.
- Online or virtual laboratory courses in the natural sciences will not be accepted to fulfill prerequisite requirements.
- Regarding retaken course(s), both the original and retaken grades will be included in the GPA calculation. A note of the better grade will be indicated.
- No advanced standing (didactic or clinical) will be granted. Previous coursework will not transfer to replace courses in the PA program.
Additional Admission Evaluation Criteria:
- Applicant’s commitment to providing primary care in Ohio and/or the region.
- Applicant’s healthcare hours (paid and/or voluntary).
- Applicants work ethic, leadership skills and extracurricular activities.
- Special consideration will be given to Marietta College students meeting the criteria for a “Guaranteed Interview” and to Marietta College alumni who meet all other admission requirements.
Come visit the program
Contact the office to set up an appointment or come to an Open House in September or April (watch our home page for specific dates and times).