Dear Marietta College Family,
As the semester winds down, this is a time to reflect and a time to dream of the future. Thanksgiving allows us to each be thankful for what has been so special to us. Shortly, the entire Holiday Season – Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Muharram and other celebrations — will be upon us and we will share the joy of family and the season. And after that, we all will look to the future as we make our resolutions for the year 2018!
In light of the time, I want to share some of the things for which I am thankful and wishes for the college for the future.
I am thankful for:
- The members of the campus community who, in their own ways, make Marietta College such an outstanding institution. From the students who bring curiosity and enthusiasm to campus, to faculty who instill in the students their love of learning, to the staff who support our efforts to provide an education of excellence, to our alumni who continue their successes in the world, and to our members of our Board of Trustees who keep us on course.
- Opportunities to serve the region through our many academic and outreach programs. Our new Master’s degree in Athletic Training along with our rekindled partnership with Washington State Community College and Ohio University will continue to assist us in serving the Mid-Ohio Valley with great opportunities. We also continue to play an important role in the region through such programs as the Esbenshade Series, our visiting speakers, our theatre and music programming, our student engagement with the community, and our great athletic success.
- There is the dedication of the new additions to music and music therapy in both the McKinney Building and The Gathering Place. I am thankful to the Ritters and all of the others who have stepped up in the past year to help Marietta College move forward and show the Marietta/Parkersburg community, the Mid-Ohio Valley and the State of Ohio what a great place this is.
- Outstanding students who excel inside and outside of the classroom. Many of our student academic organizations have competed regionally and nationally – and won. Also, our student-athletes earn awards for their athleticism, their academics, and their service projects.
- Outstanding faculty members whose expertise in the classroom is exceeded only by their dedication to their students. They continue to do undergraduate student/faculty research projects, prepare them for internships, and accompany them on study abroad opportunities – while continuing to challenge them inside and outside the classroom.
- The support we receive from our many alumni and friends who understand and appreciate all that Marietta College does and provides. Thanks to you and so many others, we continue to enhance our programming, and our facilities as the College looks to a bright future.
I have two wishes for 2018 and beyond:
I wish for continued success in both enrollment management and admissions in increasing the number of outstanding students we can recruit to the great experience at Marietta College. I also wish for the continued success we have had from our alumni and friends in supporting Marietta College with their time, talent, and treasure to continue to make MC the great place it is to live, learn, and grow through learning, discovery, and engagement.
Nobel Peace Prize recipient Albert Schweitzer said:
“In everyone's life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.”
Thanks to you, the entire Marietta College family, the inner spirit of this great college burns brightly. As we end this calendar year, I look forward to continuing our success of Marietta College providing quality education, at an affordable price, with national and global quality!!!!
Thanks and have a very Happy and Safe Holiday Season,
William N. Ruud, Ph.D.