JOHN R. DAVIS
100 Briargate Drive
Marietta, OH 45750
(740) 374-7353 - Home
(740) 376-4616 - Office
1995 - Present Director of Administrative Computing - Marietta College, Marietta, Ohio
- Responsible for all budget aspects and management of department of 5 people. Supervised the final stages of the implementation of Datatel Software. These modules include Financials, Payroll/Personnel, Student Records, Financial Aid.
- Member of the committee that developed the new Sexual Harassment Policy.
1992 - 1995 Project Manager for Datatel System Implementation,
Assistant Director of Management Information Services -
Troy State University, Troy, Alabama
- Served as Interim Director of MIS Department from September 1994 until February 1995. Assumed all duties of MIS Director during search for new director.
- Supervised the installation of IBM ES/9000 and RS/6000 Computer Systems. Involved coordinating installation of new computer communication lines, communication equipment, and 250 plus terminals and printers at 12 sites in 4 states.
- Supervised the implementation of Datatel Software modules for all administrative functions. These modules include Financials, Payroll/Personnel, and Alumni/Development. Student Record modules were still being implemented.
- Formed committees to make decisions on implementing Datatel Software. Worked with committees to develop the code files, policies, and procedures to insure a successful implementation.
- Performed functions of UNIX Systems Administrator. Involved maintaining large IBM RS/6000 model 970 with a network of over 300 terminals and printers located on 12 campuses in 4 states.
- Coordinated scheduling of training classes for TSU employees in Virginia and on-site at Troy.
- Served on panel for Project Management at National meeting of Datatel Users' Group in April, 1994.
- Served on National Committee for reorganizing the "Executive Structure"
of Datatel Users' Group.
- Member of the following committees at Troy State University:
System Computer Committee
Personnel Advisory Committee
Science Building Planning Committee
Academic Computer Utilization Committee
Task Force on Troy Campus Computer Network
1981 - 1992 Assistant Director of Data Processing - Troy State University, Troy, Alabama
- Supervised staff of 4 programmers who developed software for the Troy State University System for 11 sites that were on-line to the central computer system.
- Served on System Computer Utilization Committee during the process of studying, meeting with vendors, and choosing new academic and administrative computers and administrative software.
- Configured and connected 6 computer systems into one network attached to the Alabama Supercomputer Network Node. This allowed any user within the Troy State University System access to the administrative system, academic system, Alabama Supercomputer
, and the Internet.
- Responsible for generation and maintenance of IBM 4361 DOS/VSE System. System included DOS/VSE, POWER/VS, BAL, COBOL, RPGII, FORTRAN 77, PL/I, VTAM, CICS/VS, DL/I, and DMS Software.
- Programmed in CICS/VS, COBOL, RPGII, FORTRAN, BAL, BASIC, and DMS.
- Installed EIS/DB (Educational Information Database). EIS/DB is made up of eight physical, seven index, and six logical databases containing thirty-eight physical segments. Modified EIS/DB to include segments for data required at TSU. Developed fift
y plus batch programs to process EIS/DB. Developed thirty plus on-line panels under DMS to access EIS/DB. Responsible for all DL/I Database administrative functions.
- Taught the following classes as an adjunct faculty member for Computer Information Science Department:
CIS 200 - Basic Micro Computing
CIS 244 - Intro to Computers
CIS 246 - Mini/Micro
CIS 247 - FORTRAN
CIS 248 - COBOL
1978 - 1995 Consultant - Henderson-Black Wholesale Grocery Co., Troy, Alabama
- Installed a used IBM System/32 minicomputer. First computer system for company. Altered accounts receivable software for specific needs of business. Developed software used for warehouse ordering and shipping. Designed computer forms used by compa
- Installed and configured new IBM System/36 minicomputer. Converted all programs from System/32 to System/36. Continued to change and develop programs for company.
1980 - 1981 Systems Programmer - Blount, Inc., Montgomery, Alabama
- Installed IBM 4331 System. This was the first mainframe computer at Blount, Inc. corporate offices. Responsible for training new operator and establishing all data entry and operating procedures.
- Responsible for generation and maintenance of IBM 4331 DOS/VSE System. System included DOS/VSE, POWER/VS, BAL, COBOL, RPGII, BTAM, and CICS/VS Software. Installed and configured $90,000 McCormick & Dodge General Ledger System.
1974 - 1980 Systems Programmer - Troy State University, Troy, Alabama
- Converted from IBM 1130 to IBM 370/115 and later to an IBM 370/135.
- Responsible for generation and maintenance of IBM 370 DOS/VS Systems. Systems included DOS/VS, POWER/VS, BAL, COBOL, RPGII, FORTRAN IV, BTAM, CICS/VS, and DL/I Software.
- Designed and programmed on-line Purchase Order System, Payroll System, and other smaller systems.
- Designed and programmed on-line student admissions database using DL/I.
- Taught the following class as an adjunct faculty member for MATH Department:
MTH 111 - College Algebra
1973 - 1974 Secondary School Teacher - Elba City High School, Elba, Alabama
- Assigned to teach Algebra I.
1972 - 1973 Student Worker - Troy State University, Troy, Alabama
Developed several programs used in Grade Reporting System and Student Records. Programs were written in RPG and FORTRAN IV for an IBM 1130 Computer System.
1970 - 1972 Student Worker - Enterprise State Jr. College, Enterprise, Alabama
- Duties included operating various Unit Record equipment and an IBM 1130 Computer System. Self taught FORTRAN IV and RPG computer programming languages.
1993 - Present Datatel, Inc.
- Earned 42.4 Continuing Education Units
1974 - Present IBM Corporation
- Earned equivalent of 56.8 Continuing Education Units. Classes taken at various IBM Technical Education Centers.
1973 - 1974 Graduate School - Troy State University, Ft. Rucker, Alabama
- Ten hours credit in education courses. GPA of 3.0 on 3.0 scale.
1972 - 1973 B.S. Degree in Education - Troy State university, Troy, Alabama
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude with major in Mathematics and minor in Physics.
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi and Kappa Delta Pi honor societies.
- President of Math Club.
- Named to Dean's List for three quarters.
1970 - 1972 A.A. Degree - Enterprise State Jr. College, Enterprise, Alabama
- Majored in Mathematics and minored in Physics.
- Named to Dean's List for four quarters.
Born: January 9, 1952, Enterprise, Alabama
Married: Jane Harris Davis - employed by Marietta College
Children: Two - ages 17 and 11
Mr. Jimmie L. Clark
Retired Director of Management Information Services
Troy State University
203 Norfolk Ave.
Troy, AL 36081
Mr. William F. Hopper
Retired Sr. V.P. for Financial Affairs
Troy State University
Troy, AL 36082
Mr. LeRoy Walton
Computer and Information Science Department
Sorrell School of Business
Troy State University
Troy, AL 36082
Mr. Walter Black
Mr. Cris Black
Henderson-Black Wholesale Grocery Co.
218 Academy Street
Troy, AL 36081