The 2003 Dragonfly Society of the Americas Northeast Regional Meeting will be held in Marietta, Ohio from May 23 to May 25, 2003.
Muskingum River at Devola Dam.
This is a wadeable site below the dam. You can usually wade out to the island. To get there:
1. From the Hermann Fine Arts Lot at Marietta College (lot in extreme lower right of map) go north 1 block on 4th street to Putnam Street. Turn left onto Putnam Street at light and proceed through downtown and over bridge.
2. On the west side of the Muskingum turn right onto Gilman street and follow it out of town.
3. At railroad tracks turn left onto Waterford Road (County 4).
4. At this point, bear right onto County Road 79.
5. Bear right onto Township Road 32.
6. Park near the tracks overlooking the dam. Do not block the tracks; trains do come through! This parking area may be quite crowded with fishermen; it would be a very good idea to carpool to this site.
7. There is a jeep road down the west side of the tracks which gives access to the river under the trestle. This is private property, so use discretion. The alternative is to scramble down the railroad embankment. At low water there is an extensive flat here, and, as mentioned, wadeable access. There is a lot of junk in the water, so watch out.
Other Collecting Sites:
The Dragonfly Society
of the Americas Norteast Regional Meeting
May 23rd-30th, 2003
Important Note: This years flagging is pink, repeat pink.
This page is sponsored by Marietta College as a public service
Marietta College Home Page
Marietta College Biology Department Home Page
McShaffrey Home Page