1. Take Ohio 7 out of Marietta (south) to the intersection with Ohio 550. Take Ohio 550 towards Athens. Watch for Rubrake Road (Point 1 on maps) There is a small building on the left that houses a very unusual bookstore. Turn left at this point onto Rubrake road.
2. Watch for this small jog as Rubrake road ends. Turn left then immediately right onto Lake Road.
3. There is a pull-out here which is good for collecting typical lake species. This area is the least disturbed of the accessible shoreline.
4. Between points 3 and 5 there are numerous pull-outs where you can get down to the shore. There is a picnic area adjacent to the first dam past 4 on the map. A small inlet there might be worth a look. There are two dams very close to each other.
5. There is a spillway at 5 which is wadeable in parts and may offer up some river or stream species.
6. A boat ramp at 6 provides parking and more lake access. A wetland across the road looks promising but I am not sure of ownership.
You may want to return to Marietta by either heading west on Veto Road to Rt. 339, then south on 339 to Route 7. If you go this route, stop at the riverfront park in Belpre to sample the Ohio. Alternately, follow Veto Road east to Oxbow road and look for sampling opportunities along the Little Hocking River.
|Back to Map Page|
Important Note: This years flagging is pink, repeat pink.
This page is sponsored by Marietta College as a public service
Marietta College Home Page
Marietta College Biology Department Home Page
McShaffrey Home Page