Class of 2020 In-Person Commencement
Marietta College plans to celebrate the Class of 2020 with an in-person academic Commencement ceremony starting at 1:00 p.m., Sunday, May 2nd, in the Dyson Baudo Recreation Center, providing circumstances allow. Every graduate will be allowed to invite four guests to the ceremony.
For family and friends unable to attend Commencement, Marietta College will be live streaming the Commencement ceremony.
Marietta will continue to follow College policies regarding COVID-19. Everyone in attendance will be required to wear a mask properly and maintain adequate physical distance between others in attendance. Also, there will be no hand-shaking or other physical contact as the graduates cross the stage.
While we are confident that we will be able to host the in-person ceremony, you need to know that we reserve the right to and may make any changes deemed necessary in the wake of rising COVID-19 cases or other unforeseen circumstances — which includes changes to local and state guidelines regarding COVID-19 protocols, as well as recommendations from the CDC.
Please check back frequently for updates.
Local graduates who have confirmed participation and requested tickets may pick up the tickets for their guests from the Records Office beginning April 26th . Please be sure to bring photo ID. At the time of pick-up, graduates will be shown where their guests have been assigned to be seated. Seat assignments will be made in advance; so no need to panic if you are not local.
Participating graduates who are not in the Marietta area and unable to pick up their tickets in person, may email firstname.lastname@example.org with the names of their invited guests. Those tickets will be available at the door on the day of the ceremony.
Accessible Parking & Seating
Accessible parking will be provided for the Commencement Ceremony in the Mass Media parking lot and behind the McDonough Center and Admission House. An official accessible identification sign or sticker must be visible in the vehicle. Parking is on a first-come, first-served basis. Shuttles will be available from the parking area to the DBRC entrance. If a shuttle is not present when you arrive, please call 740.376.3333 to request a pickup.
Accessibility seating will be available immediately behind the graduate seating area. Seating in this section is available on a first-come, first-served basis and is set-up for the individual needing accommodation and one or two other individuals. This area is NOT intended for large family groups; we ask that additional chairs not be moved into this area.
Dr. Bill Ruud, Marietta College's 19th President, is going to deliver a special Commencement address to the Class of 2020.
Commencement-related activities are outlined below. More details will be added as they become available.
Academic Regalia Orders
Navy blue cap and gown are required for all graduation ceremony participants.Payment of $30 will be due when regalia is picked up. The remainder of the cost is covered by the College. Graduates who purchased their regalia last year will receive the Class of 2020 stole at check-in.
Please contact the Marietta College Bookstore at 740.376.4528 for additional information.
Senior Send Off Schedule
Members of the class of 2020 are invited to join the class of 2021 in the following events sponsored by the Student Government Association:
Valley Gem Tour- April 17th at 6:00 p.m.
Senior Bingo- April 22nd at 6:00 p.m.
Forbidden Tours- April 30th from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Celebrate Your Graduate
Each year, the Barnes & Noble bookstore collaborates with the Commencement Group to make commemorative commencement T-shirts and sweatshirts available for purchase, along with floral bouquets and other gifts for your graduate. While the Commencement Group will be set up for sales outside of the Dyson-Baudo Recreation Centr (weather permitting), families and friends are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the online pre-order service at Marietta College : Commencement Group (thecommencementgroup.com) . Contact-free pick up will be available for pre-purchased items as part of our safety and social-distancing efforts.
The college bookstore will also be open from Noon until approximately 5:00PM.
The following locations have extended hours or are opening Sunday to meet the needs of our graduates and their families.
- Wit & Whimzy: Open to 4:30 p.m. (& beyond as people are downtown)
- The Castle: 1:00-4:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
- 740 Social: 9:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Applebee's Grill & Bar: 11:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday)
- Austyn's: 4:00-9:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Boathouse BBQ: 11:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. (Saturday); 11:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Bob Evans: 7:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday)
- Buckley House: 5:00-9:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Busy Bee Restaurant: 6:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (Saturday); 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Jeremiah's Coffee House: 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Saturday); 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Joe Momma's Kitchen: 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Las Trancas: 11:00 a.m.-10:30 p.m. (Saturday); 11:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Levee House Bistro: 5:00-9:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Marietta Brewing Co.: 11:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Marietta Wine Cellars: 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Over the Moon Pub & Pizza: 11:30 a.m.-1:00 a.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Riverfront Bar and Grill (Lafayette Hotel): 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday)
- Star of India: Noon-9:00 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday)
- Tampico Mexican Restaurant: 11:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. (Saturday); 11:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- The Cozy Kitchen: 8:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- The Galley: 11:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- The Original Pizza Place: 11:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. (Saturday); Noon-9:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Third Street Deli: 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Tonya's Country Kitchen: 6:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (Saturday); 7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Town House Bar and Grill: 10:30 a.m.-2:30 a.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
Jewett Speech Competition
The Jewett Speech Competition is one of the oldest commencement traditions at Marietta College. Ryan Menapace ’20 (Westerville, Ohio), the first-place winner of the Jewett competition, will have the opportunity to present his speech at the Commencement ceremony.
After the Ceremony
We regret that we are unable to host a reception after the ceremony. However, all guests and graduates will receive a gift bag of snacks as they exit the venue or faculty gauntlet, respectively.
All guests are asked to remain at their seats during and after the recession. Our ushers will dismiss family and friends by row to ensure appropriate social distancing and safety. We recognize that this is not ideal and reduces the opportunities for photographs and we ask for your understanding and cooperation.
We will have extra photographers on hand to capture candid photos which will be made accessible to graduates and their families.