Class of 2020 In-Person Commencement
Marietta College plans to celebrate the Class of 2020 with an in-person academic Commencement ceremony starting at 1:00 p.m., Sunday, May 2nd, in the Dyson Baudo Recreation Center, providing circumstances allow. Every graduate will be allowed to invite four guests to the ceremony. Guests will receive tickets in advance to help direct them to their assigned seating.
For family and friends unable to attend Commencement, Marietta College will be live streaming the Commencement ceremony.
Marietta will continue to follow College policies regarding COVID-19. Everyone in attendance will be required to wear a mask properly and maintain adequate physical distance between others in attendance. Also, there will be no hand-shaking or other physical contact as the graduates cross the stage.
While we are confident that we will be able to host the in-person ceremony, you need to know that we reserve the right to and may make any changes deemed necessary in the wake of rising COVID-19 cases or other unforeseen circumstances — which includes changes to local and state guidelines regarding COVID-19 protocols, as well as recommendations from the CDC.
Please check back frequently for updates.
Accessible Parking & Seating
Accessible parking will be provided for the Commencement Ceremony in the Mass Media parking lot and behind the McDonough Center and Admission House. An official accessible identification sign or sticker must be visible in the vehicle. Parking is on a first-come, first-served basis. Shuttles will be available from the parking area to the DBRC entrance. If a shuttle is not present when you arrive, please call 740.376.3333 to request a pickup.
Accessibility seating will be available immediately behind the graduate seating area. Seating in this section is available on a first-come, first-served basis and is set-up for the individual needing accommodation and one or two other individuals. This area is NOT intended for large family groups; we ask that additional chairs not be moved into this area.
Dr. Bill Ruud, Marietta College's 19th President, is going to deliver a special Commencement address to the Class of 2020.
Commencement-related activities are outlined below. More details will be added as they become available.
Academic Regalia Orders
Navy blue cap and gown are required for all graduation ceremony participants. New this year, you will submit your cap and gown size information along with your online graduation application, submitted through Self-Service in the MyMarietta Portal.
Payment of $30 will be due when regalia is picked up. The remainder of the cost is covered by the College.
In addition to a navy cap, gown, and tassel, undergraduates will wear white satin stoles embroidered with “Class of 2021” and the College seal. The cost of the stole is included in the amount noted above. Students have the option of purchasing additional embellishment(s) to reflect participation in College-recognized campus activities. If you do not wish to add any embellishments, you do not have to do anything further.
To customize your stole, please visit [link coming soon - email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions] before March 12. Payment for any customization will be due at the time of placing your online order. All participants who do not order customizations by March 12 will receive the standard stole. Stoles will be available for pick up with your academic regalia in April.
Class rings can be ordered at https://www.jostens.com/apps/store/customer/1049053/Marietta-College/
Please contact the Marietta College Bookstore at 740.376.4528 for additional information.
The following locations have extended hours or are opening Sunday to meet the needs of our graduates and their families.
- Wit & Whimzy: Open to 4:30 p.m. (& beyond as people are downtown)
- The Castle: 1:00-4:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
- 740 Social: 9:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Applebee's Grill & Bar: 11:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday)
- Austyn's: 4:00-9:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Boathouse BBQ: 11:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. (Saturday); 11:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Bob Evans: 7:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday)
- Buckley House: 5:00-9:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Busy Bee Restaurant: 6:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (Saturday); 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Jeremiah's Coffee House: 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Saturday); 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Joe Momma's Kitchen: 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Las Trancas: 11:00 a.m.-10:30 p.m. (Saturday); 11:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Levee House Bistro: 5:00-9:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Marietta Brewing Co.: 11:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Marietta Wine Cellars: 11:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Over the Moon Pub & Pizza: 11:30 a.m.-1:00 a.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Riverfront Bar and Grill (Lafayette Hotel): 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday)
- Star of India: Noon-9:00 p.m. (Saturday and Sunday)
- Tampico Mexican Restaurant: 11:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. (Saturday); 11:30 a.m.-9:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- The Cozy Kitchen: 8:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- The Galley: 11:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- The Original Pizza Place: 11:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m. (Saturday); Noon-9:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Third Street Deli: 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
- Tonya's Country Kitchen: 6:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (Saturday); 7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. (Sunday)
- Town House Bar and Grill: 10:30 a.m.-2:30 a.m. (Saturday); Closed Sunday
Jewett Speech Competition
The Jewett Speech Competition is one of the oldest commencement traditions at Marietta College. Ryan Menapace ’20 (Westerville, Ohio), the first-place winner of the Jewett competition, will have the opportunity to present his speech at the Commencement ceremony.