Theatre Department opens 2016-17 schedule with Gidion's Knot
The Theatre at Marietta College is excited to announce its 2016-17 season in celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Hermann Fine Arts Center.
The department is offering a season of dramatic and comedic plays that examine the ways personal relationships are defined and shaped by death and tragedy.
“Instead of choosing a theme for this special anniversary season we decided to allow the student and faculty directors to put forward submissions of works they felt strongly about producing,” said Andy Felt, Director and Associate Professor. “Then we picked a slate of shows that we feel will best serve the educational and pre-professional needs of our students, while also providing the Mid-Ohio Valley and our local community with a broad stylistic range of fantastic plays. There truly is something for everyone in this season.”
Here is a look at the upcoming season:
Gidion’s Knot by Johnna Adams
Directed by Tara Clinton
8 p.m. on Sept. 23, 24, 30 and Oct. 1
2 p.m. on Sept. 25 and Oct. 2
A heartbreakingly furious 90-minute play that bravely explores a hotbed of controversial issues: school violence, bullying, new-age parenting, and the challenges facing our public school systems in the modern world. This promises to be an emotionally wrenching and thought provoking evening at the theater.
The 11th annual New Plays in One-Day Festival
8 p.m. on Oct. 15 — ONE NIGHT ONLY!
Hermann Fine Arts Center (Free and Open to the Public)
Alpha Psi Omega Theatre Honorary and students across campus reveal the wondrous results of an intense, yet exhilarating 24-hour adventure in writing, rehearsing, and performing an evening of brand new plays. This year in celebration of the Hermann Fine Arts Center’s 50th birthday we will be inviting our THEATRE ALUMNI to participate as artists in the festival and work side by side with our current students. With a “wine & cheese” reception following the performance you won’t want to miss what is sure to be a remarkable festival!
Blithe Spirit by Noel Coward
Directed by Andy Felt
8 p.m. on Nov. 11, 12, 18 and 19
2 p.m. on Nov. 13 and 20
This romping, spooky, and hilarious “comedy of manners” is from the master of 1940’s style, charm, and wit; Sir Noel Coward. A séance gone wrong recalls the spirit of Charles Condomine’s former wife Elvira from beyond the grave … much to the dismay of his new wife Ruth! Join us for a “spirited” evening of astounding special effects and hilariously biting domestic turmoil.
Desdemona: A Play About a Handkerchief by Paula Vogel
Directed by Casiha Felt
8 p.m. on Feb. 24, 25 and March 3, 4
2 p.m. on Feb. 26 and March 5
What if Desdemona was sleeping with everyone BUT Cassio? Vogel’s groundbreaking feminist retelling of Shakespeare’s Othello is sometimes shocking, frequently thought provoking, and often surprisingly funny. This controversial play first published in 1979 explores women’s traditional roles and seeks to answer the question, is there “no such thing as friendship between women?”
Crimes of the Heart by Beth Henley
Directed by Aurora Held
8 p.m. on April 7, 8, 14 and 15
2 p.m. on April 9 and 16
The winner of the 1981 Pulitzer Prize for Drama this “tragicomedy” still packs an incredible emotional punch and continues to be a popular choice for regional and summer stock theaters. The McGrath sisters reunite in their childhood home and face the “crimes of the heart” they have committed. A southern-gothic black-humor masterpiece, this play is both wrenchingly touching and poignantly funny.
- Friederich Theatre tickets are $10 for adults, $9 for seniors, and $4 for students. Marietta College students and employees are free.
- Studio Theater Tickets are $8 for adults, $7 for seniors, and $4 for students. Marietta College students and employees are free.
Box Office Policies
- Reserve tickets through our on-line Box Office at http://www.marietta.edu/box-office
- Reservations are recommended.
- Tickets are available for reservation approx. one month before the opening performance
- All seats are General Admission.
- Our in-person Box Office is only open one hour prior to each performance. Tickets may be picked up or purchased at that time.
- Cash or check only, please.
- Marietta College students & employees are always admitted free with valid ID.
- All unclaimed reserved tickets are released to a wait list 10 minutes before show time.
- Late seating is always at the discretion of our House Manager.
- Shows & performance schedule are subject to change.