Dear Marietta College Family:
On behalf of the dedicated faculty and staff at Marietta College, I am happy to welcome all new students to Marietta College, and all returning students back to campus for an exciting 2017-18 academic year!
This past summer we had the opportunity to meet with hundreds of students who attended conferences and camps on our gorgeous campus. It was fun to see campus so vibrant and to meet with students ranging in ages 3-17 who may one day join us as a Pioneer. Yet, nothing is more exciting than welcoming new and returning students to campus. That excitement began a few weeks ago as fall athletes and Leadership students arrived on campus. It continued last week as our freshman class, which is more than 300 strong, arrived and quickly learned what it means to be part of the Pioneer family.
Judy and I enjoyed greeting these students and their families as they moved on to campus. We are looking forward to watching their accomplishments in the classroom, on the playing fields and the stage.
As I enter my second year as Marietta’s President, I continue to be impressed by our strong foundation, dedicated faculty and supportive alumni and donors. I am as committed as ever to our mission, and believe that together we can accomplish anything at Marietta College. Those accomplishments begin with our enduring commitment to prepare our students to be lifelong learners and leaders in their communities.
I believe the world needs more Pioneers — bold thinkers ready to confront any challenge. These independent spirits inspire and lead others on the journey to a promising future. Over the next two semesters, our new students will learn what it means to be a Pioneer, our upperclassmen will continue developing their academic and leadership skills, and our Class of 2018 will put the finishing touches on their undergraduate studies and embrace the endless possibilities their bright futures hold. It is our privilege to be part of their journey.
Students and faculty are also returning to a campus that has undergone a few updates and improvements. They include:
- A new roof on The Gathering Place making it a desirable event space for festivals, concerts, and academic and social events.
- A renovated McKinney Building that, upon completion in October 2017, will be home to our new Music Therapy Program and offer observation rooms and a state-of-the art recording studio. This renovation was made possible by a generous gift from alumni Don and Leslie Ritter.
- Improved landscaping that helps define the beauty and charm of our campus, and highlights the unique architecture of Marietta College. This landscaping is the result of the efforts of our superior grounds crew.
- Marietta College flags and branding banners throughout campus reflecting our Pioneering Spirit.
We also received some other generous donations over the summer that have already made a positive impact. Those include:
- Historic paintings from descendants of Israel Putnam that are now in Special Collections.
- $1,500,000 from the estate of Joseph C. and Mary Moore Adams Rieffenberger ’39 that establishes an endowment to support academic programs for the Legacy Library
- An anonymous $50,000 gift to purchase 125 Riddell SpeedFlex helmets for the football team. These helmets provide “state-of-the-art protection.” Marietta College is the only Division III college in Ohio providing such helmets for the entire team.
As we embark on a new academic year, I want to again welcome everyone to campus. I also want to thank you for your continuing commitment to making Marietta College a bold and adventurous campus. It is a campus that provides students with a transformational educational opportunity, helps them achieve their dreams, and makes the world a better place.
Best wishes for a memorable and successful 2017-18 at Marietta College.
Bring forth a Pioneer!