Dear Marietta College Family,
On behalf of the dedicated faculty and staff at Marietta College, I am happy to welcome our new students to Marietta College, and all returning students back to campus for an exciting 2018-19 academic year!
During yesterday’s Campus Kickoff Dinner, we witnessed the strong bond that exists at Marietta. It is that Pioneer Pride that will carry on throughout the fall as we support our athletic teams, choirs, bands and theatre performances.
I hope you will join us for the first-ever soccer night game at Marietta Field when the Pioneers take on St. Vincent in women’s soccer at 7:00 p.m., Friday, August 31st. The athletic department will have free hot dogs and will also be handing out rally towels with a replica of the new blue field.
The following day, September 1st, the College will walk in the annual Washington County Fair Parade at 10:00 a.m. and from 5:00-6:30 p.m. will host a tailgate at Don Drumm Stadium before the Pioneers kick off the football season against Geneva at 7:00 p.m.
Throughout the year there will be multiple opportunities to engage with each other. Marietta College is where you will enjoy a close collaboration with talented professors and have an opportunity to conduct extensive undergraduate research while realizing all of your dreams. As a Pioneer, your potential is unlimited.
We are also continuing to unleash the unlimited potential of our campus. As you settled back into the College community, there were some very noticeable updates and improvements — including new playing surfaces at Don Drumm Stadium, Marietta Field and Don Schaly Stadium. We also replaced the bridge that connects McCoy Hall with Dyson Baudo Recreation Center.
But others are not as obvious, so here are some enhancements we believe are also important to the overall experience at Marietta College:
- · Replaced the hot water or steam heating boilers in many of the residence halls
- · Added new furniture in Russell Hall rooms and common areas
- · Added new furniture in lobbies at Fourth Street housing and McCoy Hall
- · Branded garbage/recycling containers
- · Sealed and striped parking lots
- · Replaced the roof at The Gathering Place and Physician Assistant building
- · Renovated the band hall
- · Renovated of the lower level of Irvine Hall
- · Power washed Andrews Hall, as well as some areas of the Recreation Center, McCoy Hall, Brown Petroleum Building the limestone walls at Don Drumm
- · Painted the Student Life area in Andrews Hall
- · Painted the bleachers at Don Drumm
- · Repaired and painted the press box and restrooms at Don Schaly Stadium
You can see that we have been busy this summer in anticipation of another exciting school year. We are glad you are back and ready to make a difference on campus and in your life. I also want to take a moment to thank our faculty and staff, who are committed to delivering a first-class educational experience, while making sure we help students pursue big ideas, apply them to real life and turn what they care about into a career.
Best wishes for a memorable and successful 2018-19 at Marietta College.
Bring Forth a Pioneer!
President and Professor of Management