Admission to Marietta College is based on previous scholastic achievement and English proficiency. Please mail the following items to: Marietta College, Office of Admission, Marietta, Ohio, 45750-4005, USA.
- Completed International Application form (PDF) -- please type or print.
- $50 (U.S. dollars) non-refundable application fee -- check or money order payable to Marietta College.
- Secondary school transcript, mark sheets, or certificate -- all records must be in original language format and be accompanied by certified English translations. Your transcript should include the subjects studied and the grades or marks for each subject. Records filed for admission are not returned; please send CERTIFIED photocopies if the documents cannot easily be replaced.
- Official University or College transcripts if applicable -- you must submit an original language copy and a certified English translated copy of the transcript.
- Official Financial Statement -- must be signed by a bank official and/or official sponsor. (Must certify that appropriate financial support will be provided for a minimum of one full year of study.
- Results of English language proficiency from one of the following internationally recognized tests:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 550 or greater on the paper-based TOEFL or 79 or greater on the Internet-based TOEFL. (To obtain information on registering for a TOEFL exam, please call (011) 609-771-7100 or check online at www.toefl.org).
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): Band 5.5 or higher and at least a 5.0 in all sub-areas.
- Cambridge Proficiency Examination (CPE): Grade C or Higher; or Cambridge Advanced English (CAE): Grade B or higher; or First Certificate Exam (FCE): Grade A. The College also considers for admission outstanding students whose scores are somewhat lower, provided that their proficiency is adequate for college work taken with English as a Second Language courses.
- An essay/personal statement, written in English, explaining why you would like to attend Marietta College.
- A copy of the identification page of your passport (or an explanation why you cannot provide this).
Transfer International Students:
Transfer students must meet the same entrance requirements as freshman applicants and have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or equivalent. If you are transferring from another institution of higher education in the United States, an International Student Advisor's Report (PDF) is required in addition to the above credentials.
The College recognizes the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program for admission purposes and advance placement. Students who have received the IB Diploma will be granted general college credit for up to two higher level IB courses in which they achieve grades of 5 or better. Decisions on placement and credit in departmental majors, minors and certificates are made by the Registrar in consultation with the appropriate department chairs.
International Graduate Students:
In addition to the required TOEFL test scores and essay, international graduate students will be administered a writing test in the presence of an officer of the College. Based on the results of their writing sample, accepted students may be required to take English as a Second Language courses in preparation for graduate study. If so, additional tuition fees will be applicable.
Important Postmark Deadlines:
- Fall semester classes begin in August. Students interested in applying for fall semester classes should have all application materials postmarked by July 15.
- Spring semester classes begin in January. Students interested in applying for spring semester classes should have all application materials postmarked by December 1.
What Should I Bring to Campus?
The most important items you can pack in your suitcase are those that help us know you and your culture better! The OIP encourages you to bring with you:
- Traditional clothing items
- Musical instruments
- Photos of your family and your hometown
- Photos of you as a baby or young child
- Any small trinkets, artifacts or gifts that you may want to share with others
What else you should bring from home:
- Prescription and other medicines or personal hygiene products you use regularly
- Appropriate clothing -- it is hot in Marietta in August (if arriving for the fall semester) and very cold in January (if arriving in the spring)
- Good walking shoes -- we will be doing a lot of walking around town
- Laptop computer, if you own one
- Translator (if needed) and batteries -- they may be difficult to find here.
- Converters for any electronic items you bring -- you will need this to use your laptops, etc.
What the OIP will provide:
- Pillow/pillow case
- One sheet set (fitted and flat sheets)
- Bath towel and washcloth
- Enough soap and shampoo to last until you can buy more
What you can buy when you arrive:
- Ethernet card and cable
- Alarm clock
- Desk lamp
- Phone cards
- Toiletries such as soap, shampoo, shaving gel, perfume
- School supplies such as notebooks, paper, pens, stapler
- Laundry basket, detergent, clothes hangers, etc.
- Extra clothing
- Tea kettle
These are merely suggestions. Please feel free to contact the International Office if you have any questions.