Marietta College provides several time periods throughout the academic year to serve as break periods (see the break periods for this academic year). During these break periods all housing facilities will be closed.
The Closing Procedures for each break, and for the end of the semester, will be posted in your residence hall. They are are also listed in your student handbook. For the safety of your possessions and to prevent damage assessments, all students are required to follow these guidelines during the break period:
- Turn heat to low (do not turn off)
- Clean room(s)
- Empty wastebaskets
- Be sure no perishable foods are left in the room
- Unplug and defrost refrigerators 24 hours prior to departure (Winter Break) * apartments do not need to unplug the kitchen refrigerator
- Unplug all appliances and devices (except fish tanks)
- Turn off the lights in your room
- Close your blinds and lock you windows
- Take all valuables home with you, including your laptop computers
- Lock your doors
All residence halls close at 9 a.m. on the day after the last classes held before a break. A member of the Housing Staff will remain on campus until the building has closed for break. They will check all rooms and see that the residents have not overlooked any of the preceding items. Students who fail to follow closing procedures will be subject to disciplinary action.
Liability:The College does not accept liability for loss, theft, or damage to any personal property, including times when you are away from the hall. You may wish to take home or store your valuables over holiday periods.
Any thefts should be reported immediately to College Police (740-376-4611) and your residence hall staff, regardless of value, as soon as possible. We recommend that you buy insurance for your personal property.
Staying on Campus Over Break
Students may sign up to stay during a break provided they are approved by the Office of Community Living. Break housing registration always begins five business days before each break, concluding at noon on the day before the start of the break. For example, residence halls close for Thanksgiving break on a Wednesday. Registration runs from the preceding Wednesday through noon on the Tuesday before break. Any student wishing to stay should fill out the Break Request Form and submit it to the Office of Community Living in Andrews Hall.
Students must have a valid reason for staying on campus, and each stay must be approved through the activity sponsor and the Office of Community Living. You must register for housing if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You are involved in Marietta College related activities, such as sports or student work that requires you to stay on campus over break. Your coach or supervisor must approve your stay through the Office of Community Living.
- Your home is more than a six-hour drive from Marietta College.
- You are riding a train or bus home on the morning after residence hall closing.
- You are working off-campus during break.
- You are student teaching.
There is a fee of $110 per week.
Break Periods for this Academic Year
Four Day Break, October 4 - 7, 2014
- Residence Halls remain open
- Dining Services remain open – reduced hours
Thanksgiving Break, November 26 – Nov 30, 2014
- Residence Halls close 9am on Wednesday, November 26.
- To remain in the Residence Halls over break, students must sign-up and be approved by the Office of Community Living.
- Sign-up will begin 9am November 19 and will end at noon on November 25. All students must sign-up to remain on campus. There is no fee for this break.
- Residence Halls reopen 9am Sunday, November 30.
Winter Break, December 13, 2014 – January 11, 2015
- Residence Halls close on Saturday, December 13 @ 9:00 am.
- Students must leave the Residence Halls within 24 hours of their last final.
- Sign-up begins 9am December 6 and ends at noon December 12, 2014. A student who fails to sign up within this time frame will be assessed a $50 late signup charge.
- Students who remain on-campus and are not participating in a Marietta College activity will be charged $110/week (Athletic teams must sign-up to remain on-campus, but will not be charged).
- Dining Services close December 13 @ 6:30 pm and will reopen January 13 @ 4 pm.
- Residence Halls reopen 9 am Sunday, January 11 for Spring 2015 semester.
Spring Break, March 7-15, 2014
Residence Halls close @ 9 am on Saturday, March 7
- Dining Services are closed
- To remain in the Residence Halls over break, students must sign-up and be approved by the Office of Community Living
- There is an $110/week charge for the students to stay in Residence Halls over spring break.
- Sign-up will begin February 28 @ 9am and will end on March 6 @ noon. If students do not sign-up within this timeframe, they will be assessed a late charge of $50.00 (Athletic teams must sign-up to remain on-campus, but will not be charged)