Roommate Questions

Room Questions

Residence Hall Questions

Miscellaneous Residence Questions


When will I know who my roommate is?

Room assignment letters are mailed the first week of August, or January for the spring semester. If you do not receive your letter by one week before the semester begins, please call 740-376-4784.

How well does the room and roommate assignment process work?

Each year the Office of Community Living assigns hundreds of new students to rooms and roommates. This task is done by hand, matching roommates one student at a time. It is not possible to meet every request of every student. A crucial part of living in a residence hall and getting along with your new classmates is making an effort to get to know your roommate(s) and adjusting to each other's habits and lifestyles. First year residents are assigned roomates who are members of their choosen Living/Learning Community or FYE class.

What if my roommate doesn't show up and I end up in a room by myself?

The Office of Community Living may assign you a roommate, or you can find a roommate on your own. You may be required to consolidate with another student and move. If space permits, you may be able to obtain a room as a default single. There is a fee per semester associated with occupying a double room as a single room for any reason.

What if I don't like my roommate and want to move?

After the first two weeks of each semester, you can contact your Community Coordinator to discuss issues with your current roomate. Changes to room assignments normally take place during the last weeks of the Fall semester.


Room Questions

What is the size of a typical student room?

Elsie Newton 16' by 16'
Marietta Hall 16' by 12'
Mary Beach 16' by 15'
Russell Hall 16' by 14'
Dorothy Webster Rooms Vary

What furniture does the College provide in my room?

You and your roommate will each have a single size bed, desk, chair, chest of drawers, a closet for each of you, window screens and window blinds.

What size are the beds?

All mattresses are 39" by 80". To ensure that your sheets fit properly, we recommend that you bring oversized twin sheets.

Can I have an air conditioner in my room?

Air conditioners are generally not permitted in the residence halls. However, if you have a documented medical condition that necessitates an air conditioner, you must submit a request and the medical documentation. The forms need to be completed during the summer (or winter break) months. You will need to supply your own air conditioner and we require our Physical Plant to install it. Air conditioners are not permitted on the first floor of most residence halls, or where security screens have been installed.

May I have a refrigerator, microwave, or other appliances?

Students may have a microwave (700 watts max) and mini-refrigerator (3.4 cu. ft. max). The following items are not permitted: toasters, toaster ovens, personal grills (i.e. George Foreman-type grills), hot plate-type cookers, crock pots, or any open-coil appliances.

What is a Room Condition Report and why do I need to complete it?

The Room Condition Report (available here) indicates the status of your room at check-in. The Housing Staff will complete these forms prior to your arrival and review them with you when you check into your room. At check out, this form is used again to note any damages or maintenance concerns. You may be charged for any changes (aside from normal wear and tear) to the room.

If something is broken in my room, what do I do?

If you break something in your room or notice any damages, you need to complete an electronic Maintenance request. This information will be forwarded to Physical Plant so that they can make the repairs. Depending upon the nature of the damages, there may be charges. If someone breaks something in or around your room, it needs to be reported immediately and an incident report needs to be completed.

I would like a loft in my room, is there anything special I need to do?

Homemade lofts are not permitted. The majority of upperclass rooms can be lofted. There are a few beds in the first year couples that can be lofted.

What do I do if I lose my room key?

Report the loss immediately to the Housing Staff. Housing will request a new key.

What size sheets do I need for my bed?

All of the College mattresses are 80 inches in length (except Glendale apartments which are 75"). To ensure that your sheets will fit properly, we recommend that you bring oversized twin sheets.

What about window coverings?

Each residence hall room is equipped with mini-blinds or curtains. Non-college owned window coverings are not permitted as they may pose a serious fire hazard.

May I bring extra furniture, carpet, etc.?

Yes, you may bring extra furniture for your room; however, the original beds, bedsprings, wardrobes, chest of drawers and desks must remain in the room. You are welcome to bring a rug or carpet. Many students do so, since most student rooms in the residence halls are not carpeted. Campus Housing encourages you and your roommate to get in contact and discuss who is to bring what to campus. Personal chairs and/or sofas are permitted if they do not constitute a fire or health hazard.


Residence Hall Questions

Are the halls coed?


What is the visitation policy? Can I have an overnight guest?

You are permitted to have overnight guests Friday and Saturday nights when room is available (no more than two per room), but arrangements must be made in advance with the Housing staff and your roommate. Guests must abide by the College standards and regulations, sign in, and get an Marietta College Guest ID. This is available through the Office of College Police. No overnight guest may stay more than two nights consecutively unless approved in advance by the Community Coordinator.

What are the bathroom facilities like?

In first year halls and small group houses, each floor has a common bathroom with a number of sinks, toilets and showers. Shower shoes, a robe and a carrying case for your toiletries are recommended.

Is there supervision in the residence halls?

A professionally trained Residence Hall Director supervises each residence hall.

What type of security exists in the residence halls?

Each first year residence hall has its own card-key access. Your College ID, which you will receive during orientation, will be coded for your hall.

Are there substance free halls that prohibit alcohol, tobacco, etc.?

All first year residence halls are substance free. In accordance with state and federal law, you are not permitted to drink alcohol until you reach the age of 21. Smoking is not permitted in any residence halls.

Whom do I call if I have a question after the Office of Community Living is closed for the day?

You can contact the Community Coordinator on Duty at 740-236-0233.


Miscellaneous Residence Questions

Where will I do laundry?

Several washers and dryers are located on one floor of each residence hall. The facility is open 24 hours a day and there is no charge to residents.

Should I bring all of my belongings at once?

The Office of Community Living staff encourages you to contact your roommate and discuss who is bringing the stereo, carpet, etc. so you do not have two of everything. Making contact with your roommate before arriving helps make for a smooth transition to college life. After your arrival, small packages may be sent to you through the College mailroom if you have seasonal items you do not wish to bring in August.

How can I get involved on campus and meet people?

Welcome Week, which is held the first week of your arrival, is packed full of things to do and people to meet. Shortly thereafter, the student organization fair, called Campus Involvement Fair is held, where students from most campus organizations offer information about their groups to new students.

May I bring my bicycle?

Yes, bike racks are located near all residence halls. Bicycles should be locked at all times. For safety reasons, stairwells, hallways, corridors, or other public areas may not be used for bicycle storage.

What should I do to ensure the security of my property?


  • Keep your room locked at all times.
  • Do not leave cash, jewelry or other valuable items in the open.
  • To guard against theft, record the serial numbers of your personal property and mark all items such as stereos, cameras, etc. with your name or Social Security number.


Also, if you notice anything or anyone unusual in your residence hall, please report this immediately to a staff member or College Police. In the event that you are the victim of a theft, please notify the Residence hall staff and College Police.

Does the school have insurance for the property I bring to school?

No. Please be sure your parents check their homeowner's insurance to have your property adequately covered.