"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember;
involve me and I’ll understand." —(Chinese Proverb)
An academic internship is a learning experience shaped by reflection, goal-setting, and evaluation. Performed under the mentorship of an instructor and an on-site supervisor in the work place, these experiences earn academic credit.
Academic internships = partnership among students, faculty and employers.
Internships help the College fulfill its mission and Core Value # 4: World of Work:
Marietta College maintains its founders' emphasis on education "in the various branches of useful knowledge," and we believe that the liberal arts remain the best preparation for any career. Through classroom instruction, the use of technology, independent research, and practical experiences in their chosen fields, as well as through a wide variety of opportunities to lead and serve in collaboration with others, students prepare for productive lives. "A contemporary liberal arts education" means preparation for the world of work and the ability to translate knowledge into effective action.
Special Internship Programs
- Great Lakes Career Ready Internship Program
This internship program is open to juniors and seniors from all majors but requires pre-approval based on financial aid eligibility.
- The Robert Evans Internship Endowment awards $5,000 to one qualified student for a summer internship in a for-profit organization, specifically a major national or global organization. The $5,000 can be used for relocation travel, housing, meals, related equipment purchases and other living expenses. Eligible applicants must be junior or senior status in any undergraduate major with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Washington Center Internship Program
Campus Liaison is Hilles Hughes, Career Center, firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.twc.edu/
- Washington Semester Program at American University
Campus Liaison is Mike Tager, Political Science, email@example.com://www.american.edu/washingtonsemester/
- The Marist in Manhattan Internship Program
Marist in Manhattan, offered by Marist College in Poughkeepsie, NY, provides Marietta College students with an opportunity to study, live and intern in NYC with a focus on careers in media and entertainment. Some companies where students have interned in the past include: MTV, ABC, HBO Sports, and Warner Brothers Records.
- Art /Graphic Design — Sara Rosenstock
- Biology — Tanya Jarrell
- Business and Economics — Rick Smith
- Chemistry — Jim Jeitler
- Communication — Dawn Carusi
- Education — Elaine O'Rourke
- English — Tim Catalano
- History — Matt Young
- Leadership — Maribeth Saleem-Tanner
- Mathematics/Computing — Bob VanCamp
- Mass Media — Lori Smith
- Music — Marshall Kimball
- Petroleum Engineering & Geology — Ben Ebenhack
- Physics — Dennis Kuhl
- Political Science — Mark Schaefer
- Psychology — Mary Barnas
- Sports Medicine — Sam Crowther
- Theatre — Andy Felt
Internship PDF Resources
- Intern Checklist (PDF)
- Internship Contacts at Marietta College
- Internship Employer Supervisor Mid-Term Evaluation PDF)
- Internship Proposal (PDF)
- Intern Checklist - Faculty (PDF)
- Guidelines to Completing a Successful Internship (PDF)
- Internship Guide
- Site Information
- Help docs for CCN (faculty and students)