Rickey Physics Scholarships
The Rickey Scholarships in Physics support the study of physics at Marietta College. The award is a merit-based full tuition scholarship, renewable for up to four years. The Scholarships are competitive and are available to full-time students who intend to major in physics with the goal of continuing to graduate school and a scientific or technical career. Recipients are selected based on excellent academic achievement. A Scholarship is renewable on an annual basis provided the recipient continues to major in physics while making normal progress in the Physics Major curriculum, and maintains a grade-point average of at least 3.00, both overall and in the courses required for the Physics Major. Also, recipients of Rickey Scholarships in Physics are automatically eligible to receive up to two Summer Research Grants. The Rickey Scholarships in Physics were established by David M. Rickey '78 and Jan Rickey through their J&D Family Foundation. If you need further information, please contact the Office of Admission at 1-800-331-7896.
- High School recruitment will be carried out by the Office of Admission with Department of Physics faculty consultation. Scholarship applicants will be initially screened by the Office of Admission, with final Scholarship offers to be decided by Department of Physics faculty in consultation with the Director of Admission.
- In addition to incoming Freshmen, current and transfer students may apply during their Freshman, Sophomore, or Junior years on a competitive basis.
- The number of scholarships awarded may vary from year to year depending on the number and quality of applicants, and the resources available.
- Academic excellence as attested by coursework, standardized test scores, and one or more letters of recommendation from a high school or college physics teacher.
- Physics (or other science) activities.
- Completed application form. Forms are available from the Office of Admission.
- Interview with a Department of Physics faculty member.
- Declare and follow Physics Major [not the Applied Physics Major].
- Declared Physics Major.
- Normal progress in the Physics Major curriculum
- 3.00 GPA, overall and in courses required for Physics Major.
Additional Scholarship Opportunities
Rickey Summer Research Grants
Rickey Summer Research Grants support summer research in physics by eligible students who are pursuing the Physics Major and have completed the first two years of required courses in the Physics Major curriculum. Recipients of Rickey Scholarships in Physics are automatically eligible to receive up to two Summer Research Grants. Grants may also be available for eligible Physics Major students on a competitive basis. Research may be conducted either on campus or at other appropriate sites. All projects must be approved in advance by the Department of Physics. The stipends associated with the Grants will be $3,000. For those whose research is performed on the Marietta College campus, room in a Marietta College residence hall, but not board, will also be provided. Recipients are expected to be in residence at their research site for a period of ten consecutive weeks during the summer. A formal report, as well as periodic progress reports, will be required. Details of report formats will be agreed upon between the student and the Marietta College Physics Department faculty research advisor. See the Department of Physics Chair for details and application materials.
The Samuel R. Ruby Scholarship Fund
The Samuel R. Ruby Scholarship Fund was established by his parents, Victor M. Ruby, M.D., Class of 1942, and Sonia Bender Ruby of Atlantic City, N.J. The award is given to a deserving student in chemistry/physics who has completed a full year at the college.