- Must be a U.S. citizen
- At least 21 years old
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must have successfully completed the OPOTA-Basic Police Academy before applying.
The below-listed documents must be received after your written test and upon the request of the police department to be considered for employment. All portions of this questionnaire must be filled out and all required documents must be received to continue in the process. Please keep, for your reference, all portions of the questionnaire that are provided as general information.
All applicants must submit the following legal documents:
- Birth certificate
- Social Security Card — a photocopy of your card.
- Driver’s license — a photocopy of your current driver’s license (front and back of driver’s license if renewal information is located on the back).
- A certified College Transcript reflecting any college-level training you have received.
- Copy of your OPOTA law enforcement academy diploma. If you are currently attending the academy, a copy of the diploma must be submitted upon graduation.
- Proof of name change (if applicable).
- Driver's record — a recent copy of your seven-year driver's history transcript from every state (except Ohio) in which you have ever held a valid driver's license. (Note: Persons with DUI history are permanently disqualified)
- Military Record — DD214 (Member 4 Copy) reflecting the character of service/type of separation for each tour of duty. All male applicants between the ages of 18-26 must submit a copy of their Selective Service Registration or Exemption card.
- Naturalization Papers (if applicable) — Federal law prohibits copying of naturalization papers. The actual papers must be presented at the time of interview.
SELECTION PROCESS — POLICE OFFICER
The following steps comprise the selection process for the position of Police Officer:
- Review of application to ensure that all minimum requirements are met
- Written Assessment Test
- Physical Agility Test
- Review of Criminal, Driving and Credit History status
- Oral Board Interview
- Psychological Interview and Evaluation
- Background Investigation
- Medical Examination & Drug Screening