College announces robust schedule for 2019 Black History Month
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion will be sponsoring multiple events for Marietta College students and members of the campus community throughout the month of February in honor of Black History Month.
“Our goal with Black History Month is to provide the campus and community with various opportunities to engage and celebrate the history of African Americans on the American fabric,” said Dr. Nkenge Friday, Associate Dean of Students and Director of Diversity and Inclusion. “While we have invited a noted civil servant in the Obama Administration, a renowned poet, an award-winning African acrobatic team, a former United Nations legal expert, we are also organizing student-led events that will provide insight into the experiences of our historically underserved populations.”
The celebration will kick-off on Friday, February 1st with Multicultural Friday, including a film viewing at 8:00 p.m. at the Multicultural Student Center. Other notable events include a visit by Professor Alphonso Gaskins, Former United Nations Rule of Law Expert, at noon, Monday, February 11th in the Andrews Hall Great Room, Zuzu African Acrobats in The Gathering Place at 6:00 p.m., Monday, February 18th, and Shirlethia Franklin, former Deputy Chief of Staff and Counselor to the Attorney General for President Barack Obama at 6:00 p.m., Monday, February 25th, at the Alma McDonough Auditorium.
“There is an indelible mark African Americans have had on the history of this nation, we are in a time in American history where there is a reclaiming of histories and stories from multiple populations and groups and our goal in the Office of Diversity and Inclusion is to celebrate this renewed sense of pride in the African American community through performances and events that emphasize the arts, education, international scope, imprint on policies and technology,” Friday said. “We have created a month that is filled with engagement opportunities and we welcome all members of the community to honor this month alongside us.”
For any inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. The complete schedule of events is as follows:
- Friday, February 1st — Multicultural Friday, film viewing: 8:00 p.m. at The Multicultural Student Center
- Monday, February 4th — Vision, The Poet: 6:00 p.m. at The Gathering Place
- Monday, February 11th — Professor Alphonso Gaskins, Former United Nations Rule of Law Expert: Noon in the Great Room
- Monday, February 18th — Zuzu African Acrobats: 6:00 p.m. at The Gathering Place
- Thursday, February 21st — Unsung Heroes Showcase: 7:00 p.m. at the Alma McDonough Auditorium
- Monday, February 25th — Shirlethia Franklin, former Deputy Chief of Staff and Counselor to the Attorney General for President Barack Obama: 6:00 p.m. at the Alma McDonough Auditorium
- Thursday, February 28th — Steve Birdine, former two-term National President (Grand Polaris) of Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., 6:00 p.m. at The Gathering Place.