Certification in Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) requires the completion of 18 credit hours. Courses include foreign language classes as well as language analysis, language teaching pedagogy, language in the social context, and second language acquisition.
To earn a certificate in TEFL, a student must complete 18 credit hours.
12 credit hours will be distributed among 4 courses as follows:
- one course in language analysis (either English 380 or Linguistics 320)
- one course in language teaching pedagogy (Linguistics 321)
- one course in language in the social context (either Linguistics 231 or Linguistics 232)
- one course in second language acquisition (Linguistics 341)
- In addition, a student must complete 6 credit hours in one foreign language at Marietta College.