What You’ll Learn While Earning A Teacher Leadership Certificate
The College sees the need for classroom teachers to act as change agents and effective collaborators in their schools.
Teachers are Influencers
Other skills for the teacher leader include problem-solving, facilitation and deliberation, active listening, research, and modeling. Leadership instruction in education has traditionally focused on preparation to be an administrator. Teacher leaders seek ways to influence teaching and learning without leaving the classroom for administrative roles.
These teacher leaders influence others through both formal roles, such as department chair or heads of committees, or through informal roles, such as mentors. The certificate, developed collaboratively by the McDonough Leadership Program and the Education Department, is for McDonough Scholars who are also pursuing an Education degree at Marietta College.
More Problem-solving Info
The McDonough Center for Leadership & Business helps students gain a deeper understanding of leadership, practice their leadership skills, and in the process, grow as engaged leaders on campus, in the local community, and beyond.
- Outcomes — Field Placements
- Marietta City Schools
- Wood County Schools
- Warren Local School District
- Fort Frye Local School District
- Outcomes — Professions
- Teach for America — Spanish (Charlotte, North Carolina)
- West Fargo Public Schools — Social Studies (Fargo, North Dakota)
- Chelsea Public Schools — Assistant Principal (Boston, Massachusetts)
- Marietta High School — English (Marietta, Ohio)
- Outcomes — Graduate Programs
- Ohio Dominican University
- Florida State University
- University of Pittsburgh
- Harvard University
- Learning Outcomes
The McDonough Leadership Program is structured around three pillars: Knowledge (expanded knowledge of leadership concepts, theories, and models); Action (expanded leadership skills through guided experiential opportunities — critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, oral communication); and Growth (the attainment of "Leadership Wisdom" through reflection, coaching, and mentoring).
- Is there a separate application to the McDonough Leadership Program?
To pursue the Teacher Leadership Certificate, you must also apply to the McDonough Leadership Program. Contact your admission counselor to learn more.
- What makes Marietta's Teacher Leadership program stand out?
Marietta's program is the only liberal arts Teacher Leadership Program in the nation for undergraduates and it is housed in the prestigious McDonough Leadership Program.