The Accessibility Services Mission is to: ensure a welcoming and supportive environment with equal access and opportunities to students' educational and campus life endeavors at Marietta College.

The Assistant Director of Disability Services / 504 Coordinator will partner with the student to understand his/her strengths and limitations in order to develop the most comprehensive accommodation plan. They will empower students to achieve their academic goals, and promote awareness by educating the Marietta College staff and community. The Accessibility Specialist will work directly with faculty, staff, and administrators to ensure all appropriate accommodations are provided and comply with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Students are encouraged to contact the Assistant Director of Disability Services in the Academic Resource Center for a confidential appointment to discuss available services and accommodation guidelines.

What are accessibility services?

Does IEP or 504 plan sound familiar to you? If you have a documented disability whether a mental health diagnosis, physical disability, learning disability, or an autism spectrum disorder, you may qualify for accessibility services. The Assistant Director of Disability Services works with students with disabilities to provide academic and housing accommodations to qualified individuals.

What are typical accommodations?

Typical accommodations we offer are extended time on exams, distraction-reduced environment for testing, reader software, speech-to-text software, alternate text, note-taker services, individual one-on-one learning assistance, and housing accommodations when needed.

How do accommodations differ from high school to college?

Differences in the legal mandates between high school and postsecondary educations mean that accommodations in college are not necessarily duplications of what a student received in high school. Marietta College is committed to providing equal educational opportunity and full participation for persons with disabilities. However, in college, you must self-advocate. We cannot assist you if we don’t know that you have a need, so it is imperative that you report your disability to the Academic Resource Center.

How do I know if I qualify?

Qualification is determined on an individual basis. Students must first meet with the Assistant Director of Disability Services for an initial intake interview. Any documentation that can be provided is extremely helpful in determining if a student is qualified for accommodations and may be required in some cases. Documentation could include copies of your IEP or 504 plan from high school or documentation from a health care provider stating your diagnosis of a learning, mental, or physical disability.

Who do I contact?

If you are interested in learning more, please contact Kristin English, Assistant Director of Disability Services, in the Academic Resource  Center on the 3rd floor of Andrews Hall. You may contact Kristin at 740.376.4467 or


Disability Services Handbook (PDF)

Emotional Support Animal Policy (PDF)