Welcome to the Entrepreneurship Hackathon at Marietta College.
The mission of the Entrepreneurship Hackathon at Marietta College is to engage students in problem-based, multidisciplinary, learning by providing the opportunity to examine the root causes of local and global social, environmental, political, and economic problems, and find creative solutions that students themselves can put into action.
WHAT SETS THIS HACKATHON APART FROM OTHERS?
The main way this hackathon is different from others is that the recommended solutions must result in actionable items that the recommenders (student competitors) themselves can potentially put into action. For example, you can’t simply say the government should do “this” to solve the problem. Rather, you need to offer a solution that your team can potentially begin the process of its implementation.
The first Entrepreneurship Hackathon at Marietta College is scheduled for Saturday, February 18, 2023, from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The program is as follows:
- 8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m.: Introduction, statement of the problem and rules, selection of teams.
- 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.: Teams work on developing solutions.
- 3:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.: Teams upload their presentation slides.
- 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.: Teams pitch their solutions.
WHO CAN COMPETE?
All full-time Marietta College students regardless of their major or class year may compete in teams of three or four. Students may register individually or as a team. If you register individually, we will assign you to a team on the day of the competition. The maximum number of competing teams is six.
WHERE DO I REGISTER?
The registration form will become available soon.
WHAT DO I WIN?
- Participants who spend the entire day working in their groups and make presentations at the end of the day will receive official Hackathon t-shirts and electronic badges.
- The top 3 teams will receive monetary prizes in the amounts of $400, $300, and $200, in addition to the official Hackathon t-shirt and electronic badges.
HOW ARE WINNERS SELECTED?
The winners of the Hackathon will be jointly determined by a team of judges and the audience. For more details on the judging criteria check this website later.
NAME THE HACKATHON COMPETITION
This year only, we would like to involve the Marietta College community in the process of selecting a name for the Hackathon. The winner of this competition will receive a $50 gift card. Click here to submit your suggested name before midnight on October 7, 2022. We will announce the name of the Hackathon and the winner of the competition on October 17, 2022.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM COMPETITION
What is that pressing and serious local, regional, national, or global social, environmental, political, or economic problem that the Hackathon participants should solve? Describe the problem and win a $50 gift card. Click here to submit your suggested problem statement before midnight on January 30, 2023. We will announce the name of the winner and the nature of the problem statement that the 2023 hackathon participants must solve on the day of the Competition, February 18, 2023.
WHERE CAN I FIND MORE INFORMATION?
- Attend the information session on Wednesday, September 14 at 8 p.m. in Thomas 327. Click here to register for this information session before midnight on September 13, 2022.
- Email email@example.com.
- Contact Dr. Jacqueline Khorassani at 740.516.0374.