What to Expect
Peer writing consultants (tutors) clarify college writing expectations, help clients navigate the writing process, and provide feedback on essays in progress. During your Writing Center tutoring session, you and your tutor will usually begin by reviewing the prompt and/or rubric of your writing assignment, and then the session will depend on where you are in your writing process. For example…
- if you do not have your paper started, your tutor may ask you questions to help you brainstorm
- if you have a rough draft, you and the tutor might go paragraph by paragraph, discussing the organization of your ideas and development of your argument
- if you have a paper you want to polish, your tutor may share citation and grammar resources with you.
*Peer writing consultants do not write, revise, edit, or proofread texts for students. Our goal is that Writing Center clients will leave the center with not only a stronger written product but a better process: stronger brainstorming, research, drafting, revising, editing, and/or proofreading skills!
How to Get the Most Out of Your Appointment
- Give yourself an edge by giving yourself time to write thoughtfully: schedule your appointment early and try to have at least a day or two before the paper is due after the tutoring session, so you can follow up on your tutor’s feedback.
- Share the assignment details (prompt and/or rubric) with your tutor so that they can help you meet your professor’s expectations!
- You can do this by attaching this information to the appointment form on WCOnline or by bringing a copy to your session, printed or on your computer.
- If you have writing completed, attach it to the appointment form ahead of time or bring a printed copy/your computer to your session.
- A tutoring session is a conversation between you and your tutor, so come prepared with questions about your writing project or areas of the paper you’d like to focus on (ex. “How could I make my introduction paragraph stronger?” or “How do I cite this source?”).
How to Schedule an Appointment
- Go to mywco.com/Marietta or click on the button at the top of this page
- Register for an account using your Marietta email
- Log in and use the “Limit to:” dropdown list to see only schedules of peer consultants tutoring your subject
- Scroll down and review available times for tutoring (white slots are available, blue slots are taken, and dark blue slots are not available)
- Click on a white time slot and complete the appointment form
- Meet with your tutor in person (THMS) or online (Zoom link provided by tutor)!