Who Floodstage Is (audition info below)
- Floodstage is a contemporary a cappella vocal ensemble. We focus on modern a cappella music and barbershop harmony.
- This ensemble typically has only 6-9 members. We may occasionally cast fewer or more depending on various circumstances. Being a member of this ensemble is a year-round commitment (not a one-semester deal).
- Singers from all majors are eligible to audition for Floodstage.
- Floodstage is an ensemble made up of self-motivated singers. We work hard to learn our music on our own in order to use actual class time for higher-level music making.
- This ensemble typically rehearses MWF from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. However, that is not set in stone. Actual rehearsal schedule will be determined based on class schedules of those cast in the ensemble. The ensemble will typically rehearse 150 minutes per week (same as any MWF or T/TH class), as well as one weekly rehearsal on their own (without the director).
- Singers in Floodstage are also required to be in another choral ensemble (Concert Choir or Women's Choir)
Audition Procedure (Fall 2020)
To audition for Floodstage, you must complete the following tasks in the exact order outlined below.
Note: All singers, even past members, must audition.
NOTE: If accepted into the ensemble, you are expected to make a one-year commitment to the group (both fall and spring semesters).
Audition Dates: Fall 2020 Floodstage auditions will take place August 20th and 21st (these are the first two days of classes).
Click here to sign up for an audition time. (sign up available in August)
Note: If you are auditioning for both Floodstage and Concert Choir, you must sign up for two back-to-back audition times.
If none of the audition times provided work with your class schedule, simply email Dr. Dougherty (firstname.lastname@example.org) and request a different audition time.
After you have registered for an audition slot above, download the audition music below. (music available in August)
Fill out this audition form (form available in August)
(Note: You do NOT need to fill out this form more than once, even if you're auditioning for Concert Choir as well).
Show up to your audition time at Hermann 208.
Singer auditions will run as follows:
- Range test
- You will sing your chosen part a cappella (to test your preparation)
- You will sing your part while Dr. Dougherty sings another (to test your ability to hold your part and harmonize)
- You will be taught a short tag and asked to sing it back while Dr. Dougherty sings another part (to test quickness in learning parts)
- Please come prepared to attempt some vocal percussion. Click here to learn some easy beats
- You may be vocally coached throughout your audition to test your ability to produce the desired tone for this ensemble
- The vocal percussionist sings as well so if you're interested in the vocal percussion spot, please also prepare the vocal parts as outlined above
Wait for an email announcement with the audition results. If you do not make the ensemble, do not take offense. Support your friends that did and plan on re-auditioning next year.
Some decisions may need to be made on singer availability. When schedules don't all agree, some singers may be selected above others simply because they're available at a time when most others are as well. This includes past members.
If you are cast in the ensemble, register for MUSC 164.
Note that students are eligible for a free 19th credit if you're in an ensemble so you are expected to register for this class if cast in the ensemble.
- If you need to change your audition time and are unable to do so manually, simply sign up for another time slot and then email Dr. Dougherty to tell him which one to remove.
- Any questions should be directed to Dr. Dougherty, director of Choral Activities at Marietta College: email@example.com
- Floodstage is a dual-enrollment ensemble. If you are cast in Floodstage, you will also need to register for a choral ensemble (usually either Concert choir or Women's Choir). Please contact Dr. Dougherty with any questions about this policy.