I can still remember when I interviewed to be Marietta College’s 19th President and was asked what needed to be accomplished in my first year. My answer was succinct: We needed to share the wonderful and inspirational stories that defined the College with prospective students, parents, alumni and donors. We needed to tell our great story!
We have accomplished this goal and continue to do so through the work of our Admission Office, faculty members, athletic coaches and the Communication and Brand Management team. Now we have a different, but just as important story to share.
To help us analyze the depth and breadth of the economic benefits the College brings to our region and our citizens, we recently enlisted the services of Ohio University’s Voinovich School of Leadership and Public Affairs to conduct a study on the economic impact of Marietta College on the Mid-Ohio Valley.
In December, we received the results of an exhaustive economic impact study that looked at how Marietta College influences the local region. These results are eye opening, even for us at the College, and you can learn more about it by reading the main feature in this magazine. Consider these conclusions:
- Marietta College’s overall economic impact on the region is $55 million annually.
- The College’s operations have an employment impact of $44 million on the region — every three jobs at Marietta College (374 total) lead to an additional job in the regional economy (137).
- Student spending contributed nearly $3 million in economic benefits to the region in Fiscal Year 2017.
- A total of $2.8 million in tax revenue for the state and localities throughout the region was directly associated with the College in FY 2017.
- Looking at these numbers, it’s clear that Marietta College is a major contributor to the Mid-Ohio Valley economy in very much the same way that Memorial Health System, Peoples Bank, Pioneer Pipe and other major employers are. A lot of this impact comes from the ripple effect of our operations.
The College employs more than 350 people who are leaders on campus and in the community. Less evident, but not insignificant, are the hundreds of full-time jobs created outside the College for people who rely indirectly on Marietta College for their paychecks. These are the men and women supplying the goods and services that the College needs to operate — everyone from food service providers and skilled laborers to office supply salespeople and delivery persons.
Alumni are also part of this success. Every time you visit campus, eat at a restaurant or spend a night in one of our local hotels, it helps the local economy — and more than likely you wouldn’t be doing so if not for your connection to the College.
It’s clear that Marietta College is a key economic driver in the Mid-Ohio Valley, and we plan to be here for a long time. I will continue to share with you Marietta College’s bold vision for the future.
Thank you for your passion, support and all you do for this fantastic institution.