Skip to main content

When Can I Study Abroad?

Marietta College students can study abroad upon the completion of 24 hours in the summer, semester or for one full academic year. Most students study abroad their sophomore or junior year, but there are also opportunities to do so the first summer after your freshman year or even your senior year.

Where Can I Study Abroad?

Almost anywhere! We have programs on all inhabitable continents around the world. Although, you should be advised that if the Department of State has issued a travel warning or alert, your program provider may cancel your program, or federal financial aid won’t be applied.

Are There Any Scholarships Available?

Yes! Make sure to check with your program provider about available scholarships. Some of them even offer “early bird specials” so that if you apply by a certain date, you will receive a deduction off the total cost of your program.

Students studying abroad in the summer are eligible for the Journey Beyond Marietta Grant Program. See Budgeting for Study Abroad for more information.

Can I Use My Scholarships/Financial Aid?

YES! Most institutional aid travels with you, though the Office of Education Abroad cannot advise on this specifically. For financial aid questions, please see the Financial Aid Office, located on the 3rd floor of Irvine.

What Is The GPA Requirement To Study Abroad?

Most program providers have a 2.5 or higher GPA requirement. The OEA and Marietta College requires the student to be in good academic standing.

What Are My Housing Options?

You can choose from a homestay (student lives in a room within a house in their host country—eats some or all meals with a family), residence hall, or apartment-style living with most locations offering in-house kitchens for self-catered meals. Some locations have dining facilities on campus, but a meal plan is not usually included.

Do I Have To Speak A Foreign Language To Go Abroad?

NO! There are many course options available in English, even if the host country is not primarily English-speaking. However, the program provider may require you to take a beginner’s course in the native language as part of your coursework. Also, it is also good to take a language course as an introduction to the country you will be living in; after all, you are there to have a unique experience, and much of culture is embedded in language!

How Much Does It Cost?

Programs vary in cost based on location. Traditional locations such as Europe and Australia will cost more because they are more popular, the standard of living is higher and US currency value fluctuates. Prices range, so consult OEA staff for specifics.

Will I Get Credit For Courses Taken Abroad?

As long as you are full-time status and attending an accredited university or your program institute has a connection to an accredited host institution or university, your credits will transfer back to Marietta College. HOWEVER, preapproval of all courses and alternate courses is required to ensure course equivalencies and/or substitutions meet Marietta program requirements. This process will be completed when you fill out the Off-Campus Approval Form.

What Classes Can I Take Abroad?

Marietta College students can take major or minor classes though we do recommend you save some of your general education requirements for your semester abroad. This allows you to have more options when building a schedule should your required major or minor courses not be offered.

How Do I Apply For A Passport And Visa?

You can apply for a passport at the post office in downtown Marietta or online. You should do this as early as possible to ensure you have it before your departure date. The expiration date of your passport should be no earlier than 3-6 months past the return date of your program. If you need a visa, your program provider should be able to assist you with this, as the regulations of the visa vary by country and length of stay.

FAQs for Study Abroad (PDF)