Skip to main content

Key points for driving in the United States and obtaining an Ohio Driver's License

Another benefit of studying in the United States is the opportunity to obtain a legal driver's license. F and M nonimmigrants are eligible to apply for a license if they are in Active status and present the proper documentation to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in their state.

Tourists can drive with an international license; students are considered to be residents in Ohio and should apply for a state-issued driver license with the local Bureau of Motor Vehicles

All Ohio drivers are required to have auto insurance. This is different from medical insurance. There are many companies that offer insurance, so it is best to shop around for the best value in coverage.

The Bureau of Motor Vehicles is located in the Frontier Shopping Center in Marietta, Ohio.

148 Gross St. #D, Marietta, OH 45750

(740) 374-6824

All persons interested in a license will need to take a written exam as well as a driving exam. All information can be found at the Marietta BMV, or at

The following USCIS documents are required to apply for a driver license:

  • Passport
  • Visa (student)
  • I-94 card (print at )
  • Proof of Ohio residence street address at the time of every identification card or driver license issuance

International students are issued licenses that have the same expiration date as their program end date on the I-20. Your driving privileges will stop at 12:00 am on the date of the expiration. For more information visit the DMV website:

The OEA will NOT extend I-20 program dates in order for you to drive after graduation. Students who are requesting OPT will need to alter their OPT start date to be within 30 days of the program end date IF they want their driver license to be renewed.

More information can be found at these web pages: