What You’ll Learn While Studying Information Systems
At Marietta College, you will learn how to program in high-level computer languages, use object-oriented design principles, master modern software tools, understand hardware components, communicate ideas and project results, and use analytical and technical skills to develop information solutions to business problems.
Students gain valuable hands-on experience through internships with local and national companies such as Peoples Bank, Hyland Software, nChannel, Nationwide Insurance, and Google. Many of these internships have led to full-time positions. You will also work with a business or nonprofit in an extensive senior capstone project, developing an information system from requirements gathering to actual implementation. Students have lent their expertise to Habitat for Humanity, the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Microbac, the United Way, Harvest of Hope, and the Marietta Municipal Court, among others.
Marietta’s Information Systems faculty are talented industry professionals who are devoted to teaching. Our professors collaborate with students to identify and solve issues that can be found in the industry. This research is presented to the campus and the community annually during All Scholars Day in April.
Students who major in Information Systems at Marietta College prepare to thrive in the workplace by honing computing, business, and communication skills. The combination of these skills allows our students to choose from a range of career options that involve technology, including system administrators, managers, and corporate leaders.
- Outcomes — Recent Student Capstone Projects
- Camp Sherman Virtual Reality Project
- Harvest of Hope Volunteer System
- Marietta College Physical Plant Scheduling System
- Marietta Municipal Court Probation System
- Friends of the Lower Muskingum River Reporting System
- Washington County Board of Developmental Disabilities Reporting System
- Outcomes — Internships
- Discover Financial Services
- JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- CAS Severn
- Kraton Polymers
- Nationwide Insurance
- Peoples Bank
- Google Summer of Code
- Outcomes — Professions
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Discover Financial Services
- JP Morgan Chase
- What kind of career could I expect with a degree in Information Systems?
Information Systems graduates are problem-solvers with excellent communication skills and can be employed in a wide range of jobs such as:
- Data Scientists
- Network engineers
- Cybersecurity professionals
- Chief Information Officers
- Software engineers
- Network administrators
- Systems analysts
- Systems integrators
- Systems designers
- Database managers
- Database administrators
- Interface specialists
- Product support professionals
- Managers of information systems
- Academic researchers
- Would it be possible to double major?
Yes. Marietta College has many other majors that would pair well with Information Systems. We also encourage you to consider looking at minors and certificate programs.