Have you ever wondered?
What if there was a product that _______?
What if there was a _______in our community?
What if there was a better (quicker, easier, cheaper) way to ______?
What if we combine ______ with _______ to create ______?
What if there was a non-profit organization that _______?
… and the list goes on.
Well, wonder no more. Get to work! Put your great ideas into action. Enter the PioBiz Competition to win up to $10,000.
What is PioBiz?
PioBiz consists of three rounds of competition: Problem/Solution, Proof of Concept and Business Plan.
Who can compete?
Any full-time Marietta College (MC) student may compete in PioBiz alone or as a member of a two, three, four, or five person team. The second, third, fourth, or fifth team members do not have to be MC students. However, all MC student members of a team must have an ownership stake in the proposed business. However,Each team may enter each round of the competition with up to three different ideas. Only the MC student members of a team may make presentations and receive the award money. Non-MC members of a team may only participate in the Q&A segments of the competition with judges.
What types of ideas qualify for the competition?
Any idea that potentially results in the establishment of a new for-profit or non-profit business will work. The exceptions are:
- Proposals to buy franchises or distribution centers of existing companies.
- Business ideas that are not appropriate for a college-sponsored competition.
- Proposals to establish a business that has already been in existence for more than a year with revenue of $10,000 or more.
Do we have to participate and win in the previous round of the competition in order to compete in the next round?
No. However, the experience that you gain and the feedback that you receive from participating in the previous round of the competition definitely increases your chances of winning in the next round of the competition.
What are PioBiz Workshops?
PioBiz workshops are designed to prepare you for the competition and increase your probability of success. This year, we have scheduled three workshop as described below.
- General Information and information on the Problem/ Solution Round
- Thursday, SEPT. 19, 2019: 5:00 pm-6:00 pm, Thomas 209
- With Dr. Jacqueline Khorassani and Professor Linda Roesch
- Proof of Concept
- Thursday, NOV. 7, 2019: 5:00 pm-6:00 pm in Thomas 209
- With Professor Julie Harding
- Business Plan
- Thursday, FEB. 27, 2020: 4:00 pm-6:00 pm in Thomas 103
- With Professor Pamela Lankford
Do we have to participate in PioBiz workshops in order to compete?
No, but participating in PioBiz Workshops increases your chances of winning an award by:
- assisting you to identify marketable business ideas,
- introducing you to the mindset and behavior of successful entrepreneurs,
- briefing you on a variety of methods to test the validity of your proposed goods or services,
- informing you about resources that the Entrepreneurship Program makes available to you,
- providing you with the opportunity to meet your potential business partners,
- outlining dos and don’ts of research with human subjects,
- walking you through the components of the required business plan.
Also, if you are pursuing a certificate, minor, or major in Entrepreneurship, you may count the participation in the PioBiz workshops toward the required hours of out-of-class entrepreneurial activities.