Students have to complete at least two internships as part of the academic coursework to earn a degree in Sport Management. Internships provide students with real-life work experience, such as managing a facility, working at sports events, managing in-game entertainment and/or marketing, recruiting for a team, etc. Each internship is three academic credit hours, which is equal to 150 hours of work. Most students complete internships in the summer, but some also complete internships during the academic year.
Recent internships include:
- Marketing/fan engagement at the Lake Erie Crushers
- Fan assistance and in-game promotions at Mahoning Valley Scrappers
- Public and media relations at the Chilicothe Paints
- Facility operations, sponsor fulfillment, and tournament opeations at the Western and Southern Open tennis tournament
- Coaching and recruiting at a college
- Event management at Marietta College