Concert Choir Audition Information
Note: Concert Choir will NOT meet for class on the first day of Marietta College classes (August 25th). If selected for the ensemble, rehearsals will begin on Monday, August 29th.
Concert Choir Audition Procedure (Fall 2022)
Please complete the following tasks in the order outlined below.
Register for an audition time by filling out this form:
Download the audition music and learning tracks. Select a voice part and learn the music in preparation for your audition.
Note: you may audition on whichever voice part you prefer. However, if accepted into the ensemble, this is not a guarantee that you will be placed on that part.
CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT THE AUDITION FORM
(this must be done before your audition time)
Show up to your audition time at Dr. Dougherty's office, Hermann 208.
- Range test (to determine voice part)
- Sing your chosen part on the prepared song (above) a cappella (to test your preparation)
- Sing your part again while Dr. Dougherty sings another part (to test your ability to hold your part and harmonize)
- Tonal recall: You will hear a series of 4 to 6 pitches on the piano and be asked to sing them back (to test quickness in learning parts as well as to test your ear)
- Sight-reading: You may sing with solfege or on a neutral syllable of your choice (note: sight-reading is heavily weighed in the audition process — seek online resources to practice)
Wait for an email announcement with the audition results. This email will be sent out by Sunday night, August 28th.
If you are placed in the ensemble, register for Music 361. All singers are required to register.
- If you need to change your audition time and are unable to do so manually, simply sign up for another time slot and then email Dr. Dougherty to tell him which one to remove.
- Any questions should be directed to Dr. Dougherty, Director of Choral Activities: email@example.com.