Audition Information for the 2021-22 Marietta College Choirs
- All choirs at Marietta College are open to currently-enrolled Marietta College students. All majors are encouraged to audition.
- We currently offer four ensembles:
- Concert Choir is the College's advanced mixed choral ensemble that performs at various events and concerts throughout the school year. It is auditioned and open to any interested Marietta College student. Concert Choir meets from 12:00-1:00 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays in Hermann 217. Audition is required. All the audition information is below. Please come prepared!
- NOTE: Joining Concert Choir is a one-year commitment. Exceptions are made for those graduating in December or for those student teaching in the Spring. Otherwise, if accepted into the ensemble, you are expected to remain in the ensemble for the full academic school year.
- Floodstage is the College's advanced mixed contemporary A Cappella ensemble. Audition is required. For information about auditioning for Floodstage, please visit the Floodstage page by clicking here.
- Women's Choir is a non-auditioned women's choir. Interested students may simply sign up for Music 162. All are welcome (including students, faculty, staff, and community members). There are very few outside-of-class commitments as we only perform twice in the fall semester and twice in the spring semester. The Women's Choir meets from 1:00-1:50 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
- Oratorio Chorus is largely a community ensemble. The big focus is to prepare and perform Handel's full Messiah for a performance at the beginning of December. We sing in the beautiful Basilica of St. Mary of the Assumption in Marietta, and we perform with a full professional orchestra. Last year (2020) was the 94th annual performance by the Oratorio Chorus. There is a huge tradition surrounding this event. Come join us! There is no audition necessary. This ensemble meets from 7:00-9:00 p.m. on Mondays and is open to anyone interested. The first rehearsal always takes place the Monday after Labor Day in Hermann 217.
Note that, due to auditions, Concert Choir will NOT meet for class on the first day of Marietta College classes (August 23rd). If selected for the ensemble, rehearsals will begin on Wednesday, August 25th.
Concert Choir Audition Procedure (Fall 2021)
To audition for Concert Choir, you must complete the following tasks in the order outlined below.
Audition Dates: Fall 2021 Concert Choir auditions will take place on Monday, August 23rd and Tuesday, August 24th by appointment (these are the first two days of the semester).
Register for an audition time by filling out this form:
After you have registered for an audition slot, click below to download the audition song and rehearsal tracks:
Note: you may audition on whichever voice part you prefer. However, if accepted into the ensemble, this is not a guarantee that you will be placed on that part.
FILL OUT THIS AUDITION FORM (this must be done before your audition time)
(NOTE: you only need to fill out this form ONCE even if auditioning for Floodstage as well).
Show up to your audition time at Hermann 208.
Auditions will run as follows:
- Range test (to determine voice part)
- You will sing your chosen part a cappella (to test your preparation)
- You will sing your part again while Dr. Dougherty sings another (to test your ability to hold your part and harmonize)
- Tonal recall: You will hear a series of 4 to 6 pitches on the piano and be asked to sing them back (to test quickness in learning parts as well as to test your ear)
- Sight-reading: You may sing with solfege or on a neutral syllable of your choice (note: sight-reading is heavily weighed in the audition process — seek online resources to practice)
- Note: you may be vocally coached throughout your audition to test your ability to produce the desired tone for this ensemble
Wait for an email announcement with the audition results. If you do not make the ensemble, do not take offense. Support your friends that did and plan on re-auditioning next year. This email will be sent out by Tuesday night, August 24th.
If you are cast in the ensemble, register for Music 361. All singers are required to register. If this is an issue for some reason, please speak to Dr. Dougherty privately.
Note: students taking an ensemble will receive a free 19th credit, so please register!
- If you need to change your audition time and are unable to do so manually, simply sign up for another time slot and then email Dr. Dougherty to tell him which one to remove.
- Any questions should be directed to Dr. Dougherty, Director of Choral Activities, at firstname.lastname@example.org.