Audition Information for the 2019-20 Marietta College Choirs
- All choirs at Marietta College are open to currently-enrolled Marietta College students. All majors are encouraged to audition.
- We currently offer four ensembles:
- Concert Choir - This is our advanced mixed choral ensemble that performs at various events and concerts throughout the school year. It is auditioned and open to any interested Marietta College student. Concert Choir meets from Noon-1:00 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays in Hermann 217. Audition is required. All the audition information is below. Please come prepared!
- NOTE: Joining Concert Choir is a one-year commitment. Exceptions are made for those graduating in December or for those student teaching in the Spring. Otherwise, if accepted into the ensemble, you are expected to remain in the ensemble for the full academic school year.
- Floodstage - This is our advanced mixed contemporary A Cappella ensemble. Audition is required. For information about auditioning for Floodstage, please visit the Floodstage page by clicking here.
- Women's Choir - This is a non-auditioned women's choir. You may simply sign up for Music 162. All are welcome (including students, faculty, staff, and community members). There are very few outside-of-class commitments as we only perform twice in the Fall and twice in the Spring. The Women's Choir meets from 4:00-5:15 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Oratorio Chorus - This is largely a community ensemble. Our big focus is to prepare and perform the full Messiah for a performance at the beginning of December. We sing in the beautiful Basilica of St. Mary of the Assumption in Marietta, and we perform with a full professional orchestra. Last year (2018) was our 92nd annual performance. There is a huge tradition surrounding this event. Come join us! There is no audition necessary. This ensemble meets from 7:00-9:00 p.m. on Mondays and is open to anyone interested.
- Note that choirs will NOT meet for class the first two days of classes (August 22nd and 23rd). Rehearsals will begin on Monday, August 26th.
Concert Choir Audition Procedure (Fall 2019)
To audition for Concert Choir, you must complete the following tasks in the order outlined below.
Audition Dates: Fall 2019 Concert Choir auditions will take place August 22nd and August 23rd by appointment (these are the first two days of the semester)
If none of the audition times provided work with your class schedule, simply email Dr. Jay Dougherty (firstname.lastname@example.org) and request a different audition time.
After you have registered for an audition slot, click here to download the audition song. The rehearsal tracks are below:
- Soprano rehearsal track (note measures 23-27 are wrong on this video - go with the sheet music)
- Alto rehearsal track (note measures 23-27 are wrong on this video - go with the sheet music)
- Tenor rehearsal track
- Bass rehearsal track
- Link to the full choir singing
- Sheet Music
There are other tracks on YouTube that you can search for as well.
Note: you may audition on whichever voice part you prefer. However, if accepted into the ensemble, this is not a guarantee that you'll be placed on that part.
Fill out this audition form
(NOTE: you only need to fill out this form ONCE even if auditioning for Floodstage as well).
Show up to your audition time at Hermann 208.
Auditions will run as follows:
- Range test
- You will sing your chosen part a cappella (to test your preparation)
- You will sing your part while Dr. Dougherty sings another (to test your ability to hold your part and harmonize)
- Tonal recall — You will hear a series of 4 to 6 pitches on the piano and be asked to sing them back (to test quickness in learning parts as well as to test your ear)
- Sight-reading — You may sing with solfege or on a neutral syllable of your choice (note: sight-reading is heavily weighed in the audition process - seek online resources to practice)
- You may be vocally coached throughout your audition to test your ability to produce the desired tone for this ensemble
Wait for an email announcement (to be sent by Monday Morning, August 26th) with the audition results. If you do not make the ensemble, do not take offense. Support your friends that did and plan on re-auditioning next year.
If you are cast in the ensemble, register for Music 361.
Note: students taking an ensemble will receive a free 19th credit, so please register!
- If you need to change your audition time and are unable to do so manually, simply sign up for another time slot and then email Dr. Dougherty to tell him which one to remove.
- Any questions should be directed to Dr. Jay Dougherty, Director of Choral Activities at Marietta College: email@example.com.