What you'll learn as a Finance major.
Our faculty — who are industry-tested and highly regarded in their fields of study — help students develop the technical skills and abilities needed to identify investors’ needs and to analyze investments and corporate finance. Our majors gain a broad understanding of every element of business, including economics, accounting, and statistical analysis.
Majors have access to Marietta College’s Student Investment Fund, which provides each student with real-world, hands-on experience in security analysis and portfolio construction through the management of an actual investment portfolio. Class participants are collectively in charge of the investment decisions and the overall portfolio composition of the fund. Security selection is based on the value investing philosophy.
Academically outstanding Finance majors are eligible for induction into Tau Pi Phi, the honor society for business students. Our majors can also participate in the Economic Roundtable of the Ohio Valley, a perfect opportunity to network and learn about current governmental, economic, and social issues from visiting scholars and business leaders.
For budding entrepreneurs, Marietta College is home to the PioPitch and the PioBiz competitions. Entrepreneurial-minded students are invited to come up with big ideas — and then come up with a plan to make them realities. A team of local business owners provides information and guidance to students interested in learning about entrepreneurship. Students with the best plans compete for company start-up money and further guidance from proven business leaders.
- Outcomes — Internships
- BB&T Bank
- Ernst & Young
- Goldman Sachs
- Morgan Stanley
- Peoples Bank
- Schwendeman Insurance
- United Bank
- Outcomes — Graduate Programs
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Santa Clara University
- The Ohio State University
- University of Denver
- University of Maryland
- University of Rochester
- Outcomes — Professions
- CSR Specialist — DuPont
- Financial Advisor — Hall Financial
- Managing Director — Travelers Insurance
- Vice President — Settlers Bank
- National Strategic Alliance Director — GE Capital
- Financial Advisor — Commonwealth Financial Services
- Are there specific scholarships for Business-related majors?
Yes! However, the majority of the scholarships are awarded to students after their first year at Marietta College.
- The Jules Bourmorck and Julia Bourmorck Staats Memorial Scholarship provides scholarship support to a worthy and deserving junior or senior majoring in economics, management, and accounting.
- The Douglas C. Greene Scholarship is awarded annually to students in the Business & Economics Department.
- The Bert T. Glaze Scholarship recognizes pre-professional achievement by a rising junior or senior major in the Business & Economics Department.
- The Economics, Management, and Accounting Department Scholarship recognizes outstanding scholarship in those fields. Recipients are juniors and seniors who have declared majors within the Business & Economics department and whose academic performance meets the department's requirements.
- The Wen-Yu Cheng Scholarship is awarded to a rising senior in the Business & Economics Department.
- The William M. Summers Memorial Scholarship assists qualified students majoring in the fields of economics and business administration.
- Will I be required to complete an internship to graduate?
It is not required, but it is one of three options you must complete to graduate. The capstone options are:
- ECON 421: Empirical Research
- MNGT 453: Business Policies & Practice
- FIN 497: Internship