What You’ll Learn as a Management Major.
As a Management major, you will help local businesses solve real problems. You can also connect with local entrepreneurs and social innovators in our PioPitch program. Or work on your leadership skills with experts at our McDonough Center for Leadership and Business.
Internships and your senior capstone experience will help you tailor your degree. For your capstone, you can choose one of two options: Business Policies and Practices focuses on formulating and executing effective strategies for corporations in both international and domestic markets. In the second capstone alternative, Business Consulting, student teams work as consultants to help local businesses achieve goals and solve problems. Teams report findings and recommendations in a public presentation, similar to a professional consulting firm.
At Marietta, students pursue serious research projects — and that research is celebrated each spring during the campus-wide All Scholars Day when work is presented to the campus community. These presentations include capstone projects and internship reflections, and they also reinforce professional communication skills — an invaluable tool in the eyes of every employer. Students interested in further graduate study will find they have the course requirements and faculty support necessary to pursue an MBA or other master's degree options.
Talented faculty in the Department of Business and Economics provide a challenging and engaging curriculum that helps students gain a broad knowledge of best business practices and a skillset that will make them stand out in today’s fast-paced business environment. The in-depth program gives majors an understanding of job design and production planning, strategy formulation and execution, operational planning, human resource development, and team building and utilization.
- Outcomes — Internships
- Advantage Bank
- Disney World
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Hino Motors
- Peoples Bank
- PNC Bank
- Timken Corp.
- Outcomes — Graduate Programs
- Duke University
- Marysville University-St. Louis
- Nova Southeastern University
- Ohio University
- The George Washington University
- The Ohio State University
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois
- University of Michigan
- Outcomes — Professions
- Wyeth Pharmaceuticals — Associate Director
- TriHealth Inc. — Compensation Consultant
- St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference — Sports Information Director
- The Troy Foundation — Finance Officer
- Macy’s — Human Resources
- DHL Express — Account Representative
- Are there specific scholarship for Business-related majors?
Yes! However, the majority of the scholarships are awarded to students after their first year at Marietta College.
- The Jules Bourmorck and Julia Bourmorck Staats Memorial Scholarship provides support to a junior or senior majoring in economics, management, or accounting.
- The Douglas C. Greene Scholarship is awarded annually to students majoring in the Business & Economics Department.
- The Dean's Choice Scholarship is given by the Business & Economics Department and the Dean of the College to a senior accounting major planning to enter the University of Ohio's MBA program in the School of Accountancy. The scholarship is a full-tuition waiver for three quarters in the program.
- The Economics, Management, and Accounting Department Scholarship recognizes outstanding scholarship in those fields. Recipients are juniors and seniors who have declared majors within the Business & Economics department and whose academic performance meets the department's requirements.
- The Bert T. Glaze Scholarship is awarded to a junior or senior Business & Economics major showing pre-professional achievement.
- Will I be required to complete an internship to graduate?
It is not required, but we encourage all Management students to explore internship opportunities as this experience is a component of your education that will also help in finding employment after graduation. Our faculty have strong connections within the industry, but you should also speak with our experts in the Career Center to learn more about internship possibilities.